Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Problems with my fresh Mojave Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all for the help, at the moment I'm trying to follow what @pastrychef suggested.

Yes

My primary display was IGPU, I switched to PCIe Slot 1 (PCIEX16) but the display didn't work. Then, I moved the GT 710 to Slot 2 (PCIEX8) and the system now boot successfully with the PEG being detected properly by MacOS. No more graphical glitches at this point, but as soon as I plug the second monitor to the IGPU HDMI port the OS freezes and reboots. If this second HDMI is already plugged when the PC turns on, the OS freezes at login screen and I have to reboot manually.
If I look at the system info, under "Graphics/Display" it just shows the NVIDIA GT 710 and no longer the Intel UHD 630.

If you are using my config.plist, you should not connect any monitor to the IGPU. The IGPU is configured to be "headless" which means no monitor. This is how real iMacs with dGPU are configured, IGPU is headless. Only connect monitors to your video card.

When configured correctly, headless IGPU will not show in System Information. You can check in IORegistryExplorer to make sure IGPU is active. Or, you can try downloading and playing the Sony Camp Demo Video in QuickTime to see what your CPU usage is. If IGPU is configured correctly, CPU usage should not exceed about 10%.

If you are using my config.plist, you should not connect any monitor to the IGPU. The IGPU is configured to be "headless" which means no monitor. This is how real iMacs with dGPU are configured, IGPU is headless. Only connect monitors to your video card.

When configured correctly, headless IGPU will not show in System Information. You can check in IORegistryExplorer to make sure IGPU is active. Or, you can try downloading and playing the Sony Camp Demo Video in QuickTime to see what your CPU usage is. If IGPU is configured correctly, CPU usage should not exceed about 10%.
Alright, I tried with the demo video and Activity Monitor shows a CPU usage for Quicktime that floats between 5%-7%. It seems good according to your prediction. I guess I'll buy another GT 710 for the second monitor, not a big deal.
Thanks a lot for helping me fixing this issue.

Now the last issues are that the PC reboots when I shutdown and my USB3.0 hard drive is not working when connected to any of the USB3.0 ports (USB2 pen-drive works through those ports though).

Alright, I tried with the demo video and under Activity Monitor the CPU usage for Quicktime floats between 5%-7%. It seems fine according to your prediction. I guess I'll buy another GT 710 for the second monitor, not a big deal.
Thanks a lot for helping me fixing this issue.

Now the last issues are that the PC reboots when I shutdown and my USB3.0 hard drive is not working when connected to any of the USB3.0 ports (USB2 pen-drive works through those ports though).

If you will be purchasing another video card, I highly recommend searching for a good deal on an AMD RX 560 card. It will receive support for longer than the GT 710 and will perform much better. I found a used RX 560 from eBay for $70 a few months back and it works great. It has enough inputs to support 3 monitors too. I think this is a much better solution than two separate video cards.

For your reboot issue, please try setting your config.plist as so:
Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 11.27.27 AM.png

For USB, search for one of the guides on how to address the USB 15 port limit.

If you will be purchasing another video card, I highly recommend searching for a good deal on an AMD RX 560 card. It will receive support for longer than the GT 710 and will perform much better. I found a used RX 560 from eBay for $70 a few months back and it works great. It has enough inputs to support 3 monitors too. I think this is a much better solution than two separate video cards.

View attachment 394362

And the RX is much more powerful than the 710. As you said also the UHD630 is at least double the performance of the 710.

I will definitely look for a RX 560 then!

View attachment 394362
Unfortunately this has not fixed my reboot issue.

I managed to have the USB working by following this thread:

I attach my updated config.plist for a better view on what has been done so far.

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    3 KB · Views: 23
I will definitely look for a RX 560 then!

Unfortunately this has not fixed my reboot issue.

I managed to have the USB working by following this thread:

I attach my updated config.plist for a better view on what has been done so far.

I believe restart on shutdown was one of the issues early adaptors of Z390 had. Can't remember exactly what they did to resolve it... Try doing a search. You should find a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back