Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello everybody,
after uncountable hours I have succesfully configured and booted macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 on the machine reported in my profile (and thread title).
I started from this post and went down through the rabbit hole. I used a Vanilla install (with Clover r4458) with minimal amount of kexts, and I could get rid of bad graphic glitches by setting Product Name to iMac15,1. I must say I am a little bit skeptical of the iMac15,1 identifier since I have seen similar builds using iMac18,3, iMac18,1 or iMac17,1. Please note, none of these identifiers worked for me, and all resulted in heavy graphical glitches.
N.B.: all the kexts have been updated to the latest available version.

Unfortunately I have still problems with the rig.
  1. Sleep/Wake
    This is very weird and I pinpointed what's wrong, but I can't solve it.
    If I use USBInjectAll.kext + XHCI-300-series-injector.kext with "change 15 port limit to 26 in XHCI kext" for HS 10.13.4, sleep/wake is broken: 20 sec after display shuts down, computer shuts down as well but immediately spins up again, stays on for 2 minutes and the cycle repeats. This could also be very harmful to my hardware.
    Now, if I remove all the mentioned kexts and patches, sleep/wake works flawlessly BUT if I attach external hard drives, they are recognised as internal drives (not a big deal, but I suspect something is wrong and I wouldn't like to play my chances).
    By inspecting log show | fgrep -1 "Wake reason" I have found this:
    2018-05-20 TIME 0x74 Default 0x0 0 0 kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) Facs->OspmFlags: 0x0
    2018-05-20 TIME 0x74 Default 0x0 0 0 kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: XDCI XHC
    2018-05-20 TIME 0x74 Default 0x0 0 0 kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: XDCI XHC
    2018-05-20 TIME 0x74 Default 0x0 0 0 kernel: IOPlatformWakeAction -> AppleRTC

The motherboard in question has 6+6 USB directly on the Z370 chipset, + 2 USB on the ASMedia controller, so the total number of USB ports is 14. I have tried different combinations but didn't get any result.
    This problem is the most critical and all the help would be much appreciated.
  2. Screen Resolution
    I use a Dell P2415Q (3840x2160 4k IPS) with a DVI --> HDMI cable from the MB. I tried @RehabMan method detailed here, manually and using this tool, to no avail. My goal is to get 2560x1440 HiDPI resolution, using the full 3840x2160 baseline resolution. One thing I can't understand is when RehabMan says one should put two resolution, one with intended dimensions and the other with doubled dimensions. The ratio for what I want to accomplish is 1.5 and I am scratching my head on how to implement it.
  3. Menu graphical glitch
    Although I solved heavy glitches with my iGPU by setting the Product Name in the SMBIOS to iMac15,1, I still see a minor one (luckily enough just one for now) when I hover on menus items in the MenuBar. You can see this here. I have tried many combinations of kexts, like IntelKLBGraphics..., IntelDVMTFixUp, but this glitch remains. My DVMT size in BIOS is set to 96MB.
  4. Thunderbolt 3
    It works under Windows 10, I can plug USB-C external drive to the USB-C TB3 port (falling back from TB to USB protocol)
    and also my LaCie 5Big Thunderbolt works. Once in macOS, nothing works. Not LaCie, nor USB drives. The instructions contained in the ****** post I mentioned didn't gave any results. I am going to modify some BIOS parameters, but from here it looks grim.
Attached you find my Debug Reporting generated with install_tools.sh following this guide here. I made sure to produce a complete system dump with gen_debug -sysprofile.
If you need me to produce more data, don't hesitate to ask. If I did something wrong, please tell me where.

Thank you for reading!

Attachments

• debug_27739.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 203
Last edited:
**UPDATE**
I could set my Product Name to iMac18,1 after going into BIOS under Advanced > SA Configuration > Graphics Configuration and setting DVMT Pre-Allocated to 128 MB.

This change has not solved nor improved any of the aforementioned issues, but it could be useful to others.

Did you manage to resolve your issue? - I was having some UI lag with an Geforce GTX 730, so I just tried to take it out, it shows some garbage on the screen and then reboots.

I am sorry, but I gave up on the Thunderbolt card and focused on make the build work. Got a GTX 1070 Ti and since then I solved all of my previous issues, except for sleep/wake.

Sorry I can't help you more!

As per the iGPU did you try installing this kext from Rehabman?
AppleIntelKBLGraphicsFramebufferInjector_3e9x.kext

I have a Z370 gigabyte mobo with iGPU working flawlessly and beautifully with an i3-8100
The setup was a little painful at the beginning but that solution did it and I'm on iMac 18,1
Eventually 18,3 for dual GPU with ig-platform-id modified to 0x59120003

But I'm more interested about Thunderbolt. As it seems on ASUS motherboard of the 100/200/300 serie Thunderbolt 3 is quite messy to setup.

Last edited:
Are you using IGPU or GTX 1070 Ti?

If you are using IGPU, ig-platform-id should be 0x59120000 and you should use iMac18,1 system definition.
If you are using GTX 1070 Ti, ig-platform-id should be 0x59120003 and you should use iMac18,3 system definition. Renaming PEGP to GFX0 should help too.

When troubleshooting IGPU, try setting VRAM to the highest amount in BIOS. The only kext I've ever used with IGPU is IntelGraphicsFixup.kext (along with Lilu.kext, of course.)
If you are using GTX 1070 Ti, you should also have NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext.

Also, for Z370 motherboards, you should NOT use XHCI-300-series-injector.kext. You should be using XHCI-200-series-injector.kext.

You say that your motherboard has 6+6 USB ports. Are you saying you have 6 USB 3 (aka USB 3.1 gen 1) and 6 USB 2 ports? If yes, that means you have 12+6 because the USB 3 ports also carry USB 2. 12+6=18 and clearly exceeds the 15 port limit. The USB 3.1 gen 2 ports from the ASMedia control are not included in the limit, only the Intel ports should be counted.

Are you using IGPU or GTX 1070 Ti?

If you are using IGPU, ig-platform-id should be 0x59120000 and you should use iMac18,1 system definition.
If you are using GTX 1070 Ti, ig-platform-id should be 0x59120003 and you should use iMac18,3 system definition. Renaming PEGP to GFX0 should help too.

When troubleshooting IGPU, try setting VRAM to the highest amount in BIOS. The only kext I've ever used with IGPU is IntelGraphicsFixup.kext (along with Lilu.kext, of course.)
If you are using GTX 1070 Ti, you should also have NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext.

Also, for Z370 motherboards, you should NOT use XHCI-300-series-injector.kext. You should be using XHCI-200-series-injector.kext.

You say that your motherboard has 6+6 USB ports. Are you saying you have 6 USB 3 (aka USB 3.1 gen 1) and 6 USB 2 ports? If yes, that means you have 12+6 because the USB 3 ports also carry USB 2. 12+6=18 and clearly exceeds the 15 port limit. The USB 3.1 gen 2 ports from the ASMedia control are not included in the limit, only the Intel ports should be counted.

thanks pastrychef, I moved on from this configuration, removing Thunderbolt and adding a GTX 1070 Ti.
I made a new thread about a sleep/wake issue I am experiencing, you can check it out here.
Anyway I am not using XHCI-300-series-injector.kext (200 instead since I'm on a Z370).
And my USB ports work fine, I am just having a sleep/wake issue and any help would be greatly appreciated.

As per the iGPU did you try installing this kext from Rehabman?
AppleIntelKBLGraphicsFramebufferInjector_3e9x.kext

I have a Z370 gigabyte mobo with iGPU working flawlessly and beautifully with an i3-8100
The setup was a little painful at the beginning but that solution did it and I'm on iMac 18,1
Eventually 18,3 for dual GPU with ig-platform-id modified to 0x59120003

But I'm more interested about Thunderbolt. As it seems on ASUS motherboard of the 100/200/300 serie Thunderbolt 3 is quite messy to setup.

I have the same build Asus z370-a + i3 8100 but, i am stuck in video acceleration, or not video.
I will appreciate, If can You send me a copy of config.plist and EFI folder?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back