Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Problems using Clover boot loader with working ML and Mavericks - resolved

I have two partitions (one with ML 10.8.5 and the other Mavericks) both installed using UniBeast-MultiBeast and both working with dual boot via Chimera boot loader on the EFI partition.

I also have another HDD with Windows 7 in UEFI mode which I cannot boot using Chimera and hence need to change boot order by going into BIOS to switch between OSX and Windows.

In the past I had success using Clover boot loader on a Gigabyte Ultrabook with ML 10.8.4 and Windows 8 in UEFI mode. This was done many months back and it is still working with no issues.

I am trying to do the same on my desktop but having a number of issues.

1) If I install Clover on the EFI partition of the OSX hard drive (where Chimera is already installed) it does not even show up in BIOS as a possible UEFI boot option
2) if I install Clover on a USB stick or another hard drive on the machine, the Clover menu shows up but none of the OS X partitions can be seen as boot options. Various Windows drives show up and I can boot into Windows 7 by picking the Windows UEFI.
3) If I try using Clover as legacy boot loader I cannot get it even to the Clover boot menu
4) If I create a Clover UEFI installer, I cannot see OSX install partition as a boot option after coming to the Clover boot menu.

I read many posts and tried many variations of drivers and still cannot get past any of the issues listed above. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Hello,

I have Clover-Efi working on a GA-Z87M-D3H which must be very similar to your board.
You could try the enclosed zipped EFI folder and copy it into your hidden EFI partition (you can always rename your existing EFI folder in case you need to go back to your own settings).
I just have it booting into a single Mavericks installation on the same HD, so I can't say how it will work in your multi boot situation ...

If you set your bios to boot "UEFI-only" then it should go into Clover-Efi.
In the GUI displayed for 4 seconds, if you go to the Clover options, you can select "Install Clover to UEFI options" to add it to the boot selection menu that comes up with F12.

Attachments

• EFI-gaz87m-d3h-r2236.zip
    7.5 MB · Views: 365
Venu2062

How do you format the USB Drive ? Many people suggest Fat/Fat32, but that does not show Maverick HD here as well. Formatted to HFS and it does show the Mav drive again. Also, I have update the Chameleon bootloader on that drive.

regards Manfredo

Hello,

I have Clover-Efi working on a GA-Z87M-D3H which must be very similar to your board.
You could try the enclosed zipped EFI folder and copy it into your hidden EFI partition (you can always rename your existing EFI folder in case you need to go back to your own settings).
I just have it booting into a single Mavericks installation on the same HD, so I can't say how it will work in your multi boot situation ...

If you set your bios to boot "UEFI-only" then it should go into Clover-Efi.
In the GUI displayed for 4 seconds, if you go to the Clover options, you can select "Install Clover to UEFI options" to add it to the boot selection menu that comes up with F12.

I copied your entire EFI folder and replaced what I already had on the hard drive (it is a different HDD from where OS X is installed). I got exactly the same boot options (as I always get) in Clover GUI: many windows boot drives (all data drives show up as bootable) but no OS X.

I am not able to boot using the Clover installed on the EFI partition of the OSX drive (there is Chameleon already on that partition to dual boot Mavericks and Mt Lion). I will try changing the BIOS boot options to EFI only and see if it shows up.

Thanks for the help.

How do you format the USB Drive ? Many people suggest Fat/Fat32, but that does not show Maverick HD here as well. Formatted to HFS and it does show the Mav drive again. Also, I have update the Chameleon bootloader on that drive.

I formatted the Clover USB using FAT 32 (this is to test Clover and not for OSX installation).

When I created the Mavericks bootable USB (with Clover), I used HFS for the OS X partition and installed Clover (I think Clover installation formats the EFI partition using FAT 32).

Are you saying that the Clover partition should be HFS?

Hello,

One more question: do you have the hidden EFI partition formatted as HFS or FAT 32?

Problems using Clover boot loader with working ML and Mavericks - Solved

I resolved my basic problem. I moved the EFI folder to the EFI partition of the SSD (after re-formatting it as FAT 32) containing the OSX installations and Clover is able to find the partitions and boot into OSX.

I originally was using that partition for Chameleon and putting the EFI folder on that HFS partition was not working (BIOS is not able to recognize that HFS partition as UEFI bootable). I put the EFI folder into the EFI (FAT 32) partition of another HDD and that did not work either (Clover was coming up but OSX partitions are not found).

Now I need to customize the config.plist to hide all the unnecessary boot options coming up in Clover.

Thanks for everyone that provided suggestions.

I resolved my basic problem. I moved the EFI folder to the EFI partition of the SSD (after re-formatting it as FAT 32) containing the OSX installations and Clover is able to find the partitions and boot into OSX.

I originally was using that partition for Chameleon and putting the EFI folder on that HFS partition was not working (BIOS is not able to recognize that HFS partition as UEFI bootable). I put the EFI folder into the EFI (FAT 32) partition of another HDD and that did not work either (Clover was coming up but OSX partitions are not found).

Now I need to customize the config.plist to hide all the unnecessary boot options coming up in Clover.

Thanks for everyone that provided suggestions.

Check out custom entry section here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-proboo...l-mavericks-clover-bootloader.html#post683330

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back