Contribute
Register

problems overclocking i7 3930k on Gigabyte X79S UP5 mob (BIOS F4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-X79s Up5 WiFi
CPU
i7 3930K 4.4 ghz
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi everybody.

I was designing my audio workstation for a while,
and finally I have just built a high-specs hackintosh following the hardware info here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/398-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-november-2013.html#socket_2011

Here's the specs of my build:
-i7 3930k 3,2 ghz
-evga Geforce gtx 760 SC
-48gb corsair vengeance 1600 ddr3 memory
-corsair force gt ssd drive
-gigabyte x79s up5 wifi (bios version F4).

I've installed Mavericks from skratches following the guide:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/374-unibea...-based-pc.html

Everything works simply great.

I set turbo mode-enabled in the BIOS F4 and now my system says I have a 3.8 ghz cpu:
system.jpg

I already got an encouraging 18100 score on geekbench
gb1.jpg

I also got a good score on cinebench as well.
cb1.pngcb2.png

The sys runs smooth, stable, fast like hell.
Love it.
Now.....
..... what about overclocking?
I had a very dufficult day here trying to figure out why my X79s UP5 is not allowing me to set any of the cpu setting (ratio, voltage, whatsoever) from the bios, and everything seems to be stuck on AUTO.
No way.
I have the BIOS version F4. The mob is brand new, as well as the i7 3930k that claims to be eady for overclocking like the mob.
The point is I can't get any of the advanced features out of the gigabyte bios.
No 3D bios in the menu (very strange ), no option and, not less important, only 3.8ghz as maximum clock speed from my 3930k with turbo mode enabled.
Any ideas how to proceed in this impossible overclocking mission?
I think this would helm many people here if we can address this.
Cheers.

Any ideas how to proceed in this impossible overclocking mission?
I think this would helm many people here if we can address this.
Cheers.

As the i7 4930k still isn't in the buyers guide....and it will be my first hackintosh....

Is this the most stable, strong/ fast, easy to build, well proven, golden build with the best manual / description and simple tutorial ( so at least i know how to build it/ install osx ) where nothing can go wrong ?
With preferable i7 3930k / i7 4930k, gtx 770/ 780, gigabyte mobo with many fast pcie / usb 3 etc (ga -79 x ud5 ?) ,fractal design r4

I look forward to links with the best , most clear tutorials so every 'noob' who can read can do it.
Thanks

would you mind posting up your oc settings and maybe some screen shots of your bios pages? also curious about you vcore and advance power settings, but the more settings you could share it would be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back