CPU
i3-5010U
Graphics
HD 5500
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I successfully installed El Capitan on my NUC5i3RYH almost 2 months ago on the internal SSD connected via SATA. Since then I bought a m.2 (SATA3) SSD that I have installed. I've been wanting to instal El Capitan (and eventually Mojave) on the m.2 SSD, but using the EXACT SAME USB installer I originally used is not working. I am able to boot off the instal USB but the installer freezes with a graphic artifacts at about 80% of the way and then gives me spinning beachball, instead of continuing on and recovering as it did before (as mentioned in the guide I followed).

Since then, the only changes that I have made (that I remember!) was upgrading the 4GB of RAM (1 x 4GB) stick) to 16 GB (2 x 8 GB sticks).

Does anyone know what might be happening. I will try doing this again with verbose mode when I have a chance to try again. Are there any logs I should attach?

Thanks!

I should note that I'm still using the El Capitan on the NUC with no issues. I don't want to touch my original instal now, in the fear that I might not be able to get it back!

So I had success this weekend. Apparently booting into the installer with both the m.2 SSD (over Sata3) and regular SSD (over SATA3) made the installer really unhappy. Once I only had one SSD plugged in the installer worked as expected. I successfully installed Mojave on my m.2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back