Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H
CPU
i7-4790
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Hey there,

I am running a Hackintosh for almost 4 years now. There where some minor problems at first which I could fairly easy solve. The main use of my mackintosh is to work as a 3d artist. The second use is for my 2d work. Since I got my "Mac" running, I had no issues with the software I use. Last year I decided to have a look at Substance Painter. I grabbed the trail an everything worked fine. I finally bought a license from Allegorithmic. With the update 2017.4 the trouble started. I wasn't able to bake textures directly in SP. I could live with that, because I'am running also Windows on my machine. I could bake the textures there and use them in the macOS version.
But with the 2018 update all hell broke loose. The viewport which renders the 3d model to paint on didn't worked anymore. First I thought it's a problem of my Hackintosh only. Soon I realized it's every Mac that uses a "non typical Nvidia graphics card", even the old MacPro. There are a lot of threads at the allegorithmic board.

So, they are aware of the problem, but since only some guys run unofficial Apple gear (Quote from a stuff member "Less than 1%"), the priority for solving this is at it's lowest. I saw that most of the guys posting, use macOS Sierra. I was wondering if the problem disappears in High Sierra. I'am really happy with my rig and with Sierra, so I don't want to change my system just because of one application.

Did anyone of you made some experience with Substance Painter 2018 in macOS High Sierra on a Hackintosh running a non official Nvidia GPU?

Thanks
Best regards
-- Oliver

Hey Mauk,

When I first updated to Substance Painter 2018 I ran into the same problem. Because of that I staid with the old version till today.
So I upgraded to the newest SP 2018 version and it still has the same problem.
The viewer (Model/UV) is completely black and the mouse ghost through it...

Did you find any fix for it or are you having this problem?

Thanks,
Philipp

I actually got a similar problem with the 2018 and some glicht on my viewport and rendered textures
I avoided the problem by using the photoshop exporter.

Hi, i found that deleting the plists under ~/library/preferences/com.allegorithmic.[other stuff].plist fixes my issue of a black viewport when loading a project or .fbx and the tons of crashes i was suffering from. i hope this helps anyone checking this thread out.

Thanks for your feedback guys. I saw your post on the allegorithmic forums roderik. Just tried it, but it didn't work for me. I saw that you're using High Sierra, maybe I'll give it a try on a separate hardisk.

It's really disappointing that a large company like Allegorithmic don't want to solve this problem. Even if they run in legal issues, they could just fix that in the background.

I know this is an old post, but did you have any luck in High Sierra? Having the same problem (I have a GTX 970 and Sierra) -- my 2018 Substnc Painter worked fine, but when upgrading to 2019: blammo. I cleared it all off and reverted to my 2018 version, but now it too does the black viewport with cursor ghosting.

I know this is an old post, but did you have any luck in High Sierra? Having the same problem (I have a GTX 970 and Sierra) -- my 2018 Substnc Painter worked fine, but when upgrading to 2019: blammo. I cleared it all off and reverted to my 2018 version, but now it too does the black viewport with cursor ghosting.
Hi,
Last time I check nothing was fixed nor did I find any workaround. I only had Sierra tho. But this was around 4 months ago. Since then I'm back on windows :/ Houdini for instance feels way smoother and substance also works just fine. I really don't like windows but for the sake of slow working and no Substance painter macOS wasn't worth it. Since the support for Nvidia's webdrivers got canceled anyway, one might be happier with windows for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back