Motherboard
ASUS Prime Z390-A
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Until recently, I was using a wired, Apple aluminum keyboard with my Hackintosh (macOS Sierra 10.12.4) with no problems. I decided I wanted to upgrade to a wireless option that would let me easily switch the keyboard between my Hackintosh desktop and my Macbook Air laptop.

I tried two keyboards:

1) Dell WK717
2) Logitech K780

Both keyboards worked mostly as expected, but I ended up running into a couple of similar issues with both keyboards on my Hackintosh. Most notably, I couldn't get the function keys (F1-F12) to work.

With the Dell keyboard, I thought the problem was the keyboard. I also found (via an online keyboard tester) that the 'Home' key was being registered as a 'Ctrl' key press. Because of this, I returned the Dell keyboard and decided to try the Logitech K780. The Logitech comes with a software with an option to explicitly make all the function keys work as function keys rather than the normal media, etc. functions that these keys serve on a Mac keyboard. Selecting this option made no difference. As an example, the F10 key was always muting the volume whether I had that option selected and whether or not I pressed fn+F10.

Again, I thought there might be a problem with the keyboard, but now I was a bit more suspicious. So, I just tried connecting the K780 keyboard to my Macbook Air and everything works exactly as it should. So, it seems that the problem is something to do with the Hackintosh, but I have no idea where to start or how to figure this out.

As I mentioned, these keys worked fine on my wired Apple keyboard. I also tried out an Apple bluetooth keyboard that I have (yes, I have way too many keyboards right now), and it worked fine. But I can't get these 3rd party keyboards to work 100% with the Hackintosh.

If anyone can help or offer any assistance, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Chandran

System Build
- Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
- Intel Core i7 3770K
- 16GB RAM
- macOS Sierra 10.12.4
- Clover bootloader

[let me know if you need any more details about my system setup...oh yeah, the Macbook Air is also running 10.12.4]

Try to re-identify your keyboard
In Terminal:
Code:
sudo rm /Library/Preferences/com.apple.keyboardtype.plist
and then reboot.
The Keyboard Setup Assistant will launch automatically.
Follow the onscreen instructions to set up the keyboard.

Try to re-identify your keyboard
In Terminal:
Code:
sudo rm /Library/Preferences/com.apple.keyboardtype.plist
and then reboot.
The Keyboard Setup Assistant will launch automatically.
Follow the onscreen instructions to set up the keyboard.

Thanks for responding!

I followed these instructions and went through the Keyboard Setup Assistance, but it hasn't solved the problem.

What happens when you go to System Preferences > Keyboard > click on the option to use F1, F2, etc. as standard keys?

What happens when you go to System Preferences > Keyboard > click on the option to use F1, F2, etc. as standard keys?

This was the first thing I looked for, and I found that the option simply wasn't there with either the Dell or Logitech keyboards. It is there when I connect the Apple Bluetooth keyboard though.

This was the first thing I looked for, and I found that the option simply wasn't there with either the Dell or Logitech keyboards. It is there when I connect the Apple Bluetooth keyboard though.

Hey!

I'm having exactly the same problem on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6.
Were you able to solve it somehow? Please let me know!

Any news on this subject?
I got two different Bluetooth keyboards that I just can't get the F1-F12 keys to work other than a fn key (volume, brightness, etc)
I tried Karabiner w/o luck...
Thanks

anyone has a workaround?
THanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back