Contribute
Register

Problem with poor Vega 64 Performance on Mojave 10.14.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made this account to say Id been having the same problems and finally gave up and went back to 10.14.3 (thanks time machine) and my brucex is back to ~10-13seconds

Thanks for the info. I suspected this might be the only option. Is FCPX generally more responsive after rollback?? That’s my priority honestly.

My brucex scores were

~11s on 10.13.6
~11-13s on 10.14.3
~31s on 10.14.5

This is with and without my igpu being turned on in the bios.

There might be a fix out there for 10.14.5 but rolling back was just easier for me

Everything works but the performance isn't what it should be. I'm getting an OpenCL score on Geekbench of around 142 / 143k. I know is should be more like 200k. Also my BruceX (in FCPX) is about 21 seconds. Again around twice the time it should be taking.

@movolans,

After updating to 10.14.5 I noticed this too on my White Knight hack (see sig for specs) which i use for video editing with FCPX. Prior to 10.14.5 BruceX export test was around 12 seconds but is now ~21 seconds, Geekbench also went down from around 21,000 to 15,500 which has been reported by many other users.

Other synthetic benchmark's such as Valley, Haven & LuxMark have remained around the same score.

I think the issue is that while Apple improved the support for OEM Vega cards in 10.14.5, the overall performance in certain apps/tasks has taken a hit although in my case (Sapphire Vega 64 Liquid Cooled Card) it is still hitting the 1750Mhz max die clock speed and 950Mhz Memory Clock when under heavy load.

I believe this is down to two reasons.

1. The current 10.14.5 Vega drivers are not so well optimised as previous versions.
2. FCPX is not currently optimised for the new Vega drivers in 10.14.5.

Its strange for sure ....

One other thing i've noticed is that in previous versions of Mojave, MacOS would use both the IGPU (configured as headless) and the dGPU for certain tasks, but it seems that in 10.14.5 it appears to only use the dGPU .. since installing 10.14.5 I no longer see the IGPU in Intel Power Gadget and in Activity Monitor -> GPU History (which only shows the Vega) so clearly something has changed.

And yet IQS is still working well with finder and X264 video format converters so the system configuration is still ok.

I must admit I haven't done any major video work since updating to 10.14.5 except to run the BruceX tests so its possible an update for FCPX has already been released ... I'll try and remember to check next time i fire the machine up.

Edit: I'm currently on FCPX 10.4.4 ... the latest version is 10.4.6 so will update when i get chance ...

Hopefully Apple will optimise the Vega drivers in the next Mojave update (10.14.6)

If i where you i'd sit tight on 10.14.5 rather than mess about down grading and see what happens with the next update.

In Summary I think your configuration is correct and that your not alone in what your seeing with Vega performance in Mojave 10.14.5.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Has anyone tested this with say... fcpx 10.4.5 or below? Id be curious to see how that plays out

Have you guys tried the Bruce X test with macOS 10.14.5 and iMacPro1,1 system definition with IGPU disabled?

Has anyone tested this with say... fcpx 10.4.5 or below? Id be curious to see how that plays out

@4string,

I'm currently on FCPX 10.4.4 ... With the issue i wrote above

I've Just checked the App Store and the latest version is 10.4.6 so will update and see if the issue remains.

Cheers
Jay

Have you guys tried the Bruce X test with macOS 10.14.5 and iMacPro1,1 system definition with IGPU disabled?
Thats what I just downgraded from. I’m now on 10.14.3, igpu disabled in bios and getting +2x better performance in fcpx

Yep. This is the definition and setup I’ve been using. I’ve tried with and without GPU enabled. No difference either way unfortunately.

Yep. This is the definition and setup I’ve been using. I’ve tried with and without GPU enabled. No difference either way unfortunately.

What were your BruceX times before and after 10.14.5?

What were your BruceX times before and after 10.14.5?

My brucex scores were

~11s on 10.13.6
~11-13s on 10.14.3
~31s on 10.14.5

This is with and without my igpu being turned on in the bios.
Based on istat, my vega is working at about 50% on 10.14.5 but 100% on 10.14.3 and below

Edit: sorry If that question was meant for mavolans. I’m still learning this interface and using movile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back