- Jul 11, 2012
- GB Z390 Designare
- i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz
- Radeon VII
- , ,
- Mobile Phone
Hiya.@movolans Would you mind sharing your EFI and BIOS settings for the Z390 Designare + Vega64 Nitro+, as you claim to have normal BruceX performance (11-12sec) with 10.14.5?
I'm running an identical setup, and some weeks before I had a 10.14.5 working quite well at around 12 secs, but in the meantime messed it up. Trying to start clean now, but I can't get any better than 16 seconds.
SMBIOS iMac19,1 seems to work better than iMacPro1,1.
I also followed the advice of removing NVME drives as I was getting 20sec+ performance. Now running off a SATA SSD and no other devices than just Vega64 and normal onboard stuff enabled (incl. TB3), the performance is slightly better.
As a quick question as well: How do you exactly count BruceX FCPX performance in time? I Do we start the timer when we hit "Save" or do we start the timer when we hear the GPU start (coilwhile and whatnot)? Do we stop the timer when the coloured pictogram of the file shows up on the desktop, or when QuickTime actually shows the file? There's a few seconds of difference in all these options.
I mean to say, if I'm really optimistic I could claim ca. 12 seconds, but it doesn't feel like I'm counting the whole process then.
As far as I understand now, with either SMBIOS one doesn't need to provide Device Properties or ACPI patches, as Whatevergreen should take care of this?
PS: If people report that they have good performance in 10.14.3, but it changes in 10.14.5, you can exclude any hardware intereference, like sharing of PCI-E bandwidth. This is all defined on a low level in the BIOS, rather than by the OS.
Unfortunately my system has changed pretty significantly since my original post. I have switched to a Z390 Designare MoBo and Radeon VII GPU. I still get around 13 seconds. Things really changed for my me on my old board when I removed the NVME just above the PCIe 16X slot. On this MoBo I don't have the same issue - both NVME slots are populated.
I'm convinced this was only part of the issue (and may have been very specific to my system) drivers not being optimised and similar issues in FCPX are probably also to blame. Hopefully this will change in future updates.
I've also switched to Davinci Resolve Studio and I can tell you that exports / renders are lightning fast. I just did an H264 export of a 3 minute video in about 20 seconds So the performance is there - just not across the board.