Contribute
Register

Problem with Native Access

I have thought the same about NI ;) However i messaged them, maybe its a easy fix for them to ignore none string ionames.
Ive got the EFI folder now, do u need the config.plist or everything? Is sensitive information in the EFI partition? Btw. i dont want to steal any of your time, if it is complicated to look into this please just say so!
No worries, happy to help.

From your EFI folder I only need the ACPI folder (it will contain any DSDT patch) and the config.plist file. Check that config.plist doesn't contain any serial number in the smbios section. You can redact it if present.

No worries, happy to help.

From your EFI folder I only need the ACPI folder (it will contain any DSDT patch) and the config.plist file. Check that config.plist doesn't contain any serial number in the smbios section. You can redact it if present.

I cant find a private message option here, is it 100% safe to share these files here after i have deleted the Serial Number?

I cant find a private message option here, is it 100% safe to share these files here after i have deleted the Serial Number?

Hi there.

As long as you don't share anything with private information in it, just zip and upload using the Attach Files option.

As @nekapsule said, redact the serial-number and UUIDs from your config.plist. You can overwrite them with "xxxxx" etc.

The whole idea here is to share your problem so others can help. :thumbup:

Private messaging, when you are eligible, is not for file-sharing or asking for help.

allright, thanks for the information :)
Ill attach the zip in this message

allright, thanks for the information :)
Ill attach the zip in this message

Thanks,

So the culprit is the highlighted item here:

1632308673810.png

Unfortunately, as you can see, this is set as a String so there's nothing you can do currently. (Kinda weird the value is "#display", not "display" but maybe it's to disable it.)

Even tho Native Access would not detect that device as a GPU, since it's not "display", the fact it's injected as Data makes it crash when it goes through all the devices with an IOName property.

As I suspected, it's definitely a case of asking the OpenCore team to make sure properties defined as String remain a String and don't get converted to Data.

The only thing you could try for now is delete that IOName entry and see if Big Sur still works correctly, but I wouldn't hold my breath, it's probably patched for a reason.

It's worth trying from a USB drive, then selecting the hard drive to boot from (like you did when you booted for the first time after the installation completed), so you don't touch your working setup.

HTH

Thanks,

So the culprit is the highlighted item here:

View attachment 529444

Unfortunately, as you can see, this is set as a String so there's nothing you can do currently. (Kinda weird the value is "#display", not "display" but maybe it's to disable it.)

Even tho Native Access would not detect that device as a GPU, since it's not "display", the fact it's injected as Data makes it crash when it goes through all the devices with an IOName property.

As I suspected, it's definitely a case of asking the OpenCore team to make sure properties defined as String remain a String and don't get converted to Data.

The only thing you could try for now is delete that IOName entry and see if Big Sur still works correctly, but I wouldn't hold my breath, it's probably patched for a reason.

It's worth trying from a USB drive, then selecting the hard drive to boot from (like you did when you booted for the first time after the installation completed), so you don't touch your working setup.

HTH

Thanks for your time and help nekapsule!
Would be this the correct way to try it?
1. Create new USB Stick with OCLP
2. Open config.plist on the new EFI stick and delete the highlighted area:
Screenshot 2021-09-22 at 13.25.55.png

3. Restart Mac while holding Option Key to select the EFI USB Stick.
4. Mac should start Big Sur automatically with the modified EFI.
(5) If it is broken in any way i turn off the Mac, unplug the Stick, and Mac should start like before

As you can see my knowledge is very limited :wave:
If that doesnt help i might consider reaching out to OCLP on Github. Not sure yet, as i dont want to make so much trouble. I could always revert back to Catalina which would solve that problem.

Last edited:
Doesn't seem that limited to me, your plan is spot on!

Btw I recommend using https://github.com/corpnewt/ProperTree to edit plist files. Much easier to go through and no risk of breaking the structure.

You are truly a genious as some people mentioned before :) I have deleted it with textedit as i read your edit too late. However it works perfectly! IONAME is now string and Native Access is starting without a crash. I havent testet anything else yet, but so far nothing seems "broken". Thank you so much! :)
I will test the system in the next few days and if everything works i will edit the EFI of the system partition.

You are truly a genious as some people mentioned before :) I have deleted it with textedit as i read your edit too late. However it works perfectly! IONAME is now string and Native Access is starting without a crash. I havent testet anything else yet, but so far nothing seems "broken". Thank you so much! :)
I will test the system in the next few days and if everything works i will edit the EFI of the system partition.

Glad to hear another success story regarding this issue!

What that patch might do is rename the iGPU to disable it and make all the DRM related features work (Apple TV, Netflix in Safari, etc).

You can go through this guide and see if DRM still works (if it was working before you removed that IOName entry)

EDIT: I can confirm this patch disables one of your GPUs, as this "#display" value is exactly what's described here:

If you really need that patch, you could go the DSDT route as it would allow you to keep it as a name (as you can see, IOName is set as a string and not a Buffer), but it's more complex and you'd have to find your GPU PCI path using Windows, which is a pain, quite honestly.

Last edited:
Glad to hear another success story regarding this issue!

What that patch might do is rename the iGPU to disable it and make all the DRM related features work (Apple TV, Netflix in Safari, etc).

You can go through this guide and see if DRM still works (if it was working before you removed that IOName entry)

EDIT: I can confirm this patch disables one of your GPUs, as this "#display" value is exactly what's described here:

If you really need that patch, you could go the DSDT route as it would allow you to keep it as a name (as you can see, IOName is set as a string and not a Buffer), but it's more complex and you'd have to find your GPU PCI path using Windows, which is a pain, quite honestly.

If i remember correctly OCLP has a setup section in the terminal UI where u can enable the internal GPU, will try that when i am at home. Would be definitely the cleaner way than deleting things from the plist, thats true. Dont think the DRM thing will be an issue for me as long as it is limited to streaming services etc., but thanks for pointing it out!

Back