CPU
i3-3110M/C216
Graphics
HD 4000. 1366x768
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
HP Probook 4540s running Mavericks. No problems for several months (since I got it running) until last night.

Suddenly the mouse, when clicked to locate cursor, 'fastened' and every time I moved the mouse it 'selected' text from click point to wherever the cursor was. I could not click again, either inside the document or outside - could not start another program. At the same time only the Return key worked on the keyboard. The synaptics touchpad would not work at all or rather reacted as though I had hit a button.

I have no other mouse to try but it sounds like a bigger problem since keyboard and touchpad are affected. Would appreciate any suggestions. Daren't type more in case it happens now. Oh yes, two sudden reboots whilst situation exists.

PS have Apples error report after reboot.

More info: I have now connected to the screen of the troublesome computer from another Mac and so far I can use my local mouse and keyboard to open windows, type text and more. I typed up to the 'p' in type from the other computer, when that, too, would type no more and I could do nothing else. The connection came up with a notice that it was trying to reconnect. I closed the connection and tried to restart it. In the meantime I came downstairs to the troublesome computer, and here I am typing the continuation of this message, which I'm now going to post but first I'll dash upstairs and see if the connection has been remade. Yes, it is, and I'll repost this from there.

Last edited:
More info: I have now connected to the screen of the troublesome computer from another Mac and so far I can use my local mouse and keyboard to open windows, type text and more. I typed up to the 'p' in type in the last sentence from the other computer, when that, too, would type no more and I could do nothing else. The connection came up with a notice that it was trying to reconnect. I closed the connection and tried to restart it. In the meantime I came downstairs to the troublesome computer, and here I am typing the continuation of this message, which I'm now going to post but first I'll dash upstairs and see if the connection has been remade. Yes, it is, and I'll repost this from there.

HP Probook 4540s running Mavericks. No problems for several months (since I got it running) until last night.

Suddenly the mouse, when clicked to locate cursor, 'fastened' and every time I moved the mouse it 'selected' text from click point to wherever the cursor was. I could not click again, either inside the document or outside - could not start another program. At the same time only the Return key worked on the keyboard. The synaptics touchpad would not work at all or rather reacted as though I had hit a button.

I have no other mouse to try but it sounds like a bigger problem since keyboard and touchpad are affected. Would appreciate any suggestions. Daren't type more in case it happens now. Oh yes, two sudden reboots whilst situation exists.

PS have Apples error report after reboot.

More info: I have now connected to the screen of the troublesome computer from another Mac and so far I can use my local mouse and keyboard to open windows, type text and more. I typed up to the 'p' in type from the other computer, when that, too, would type no more and I could do nothing else. The connection came up with a notice that it was trying to reconnect. I closed the connection and tried to restart it. In the meantime I came downstairs to the troublesome computer, and here I am typing the continuation of this message, which I'm now going to post but first I'll dash upstairs and see if the connection has been remade. Yes, it is, and I'll repost this from there.

Use the OS X installer to refresh everything... (eg. install but don't erase).

Thanks Rehabman:

Is that the repair partition or am I back to the original install procedure?

Thanks Rehabman:

Is that the repair partition or am I back to the original install procedure?

Original install procedure. Make sure your USB has the same version of OS X as does your main partition.

I was reading through the guide for installation, and came across the passage about doing an EC reset if you have a problem with mouse and/or keyboard so decided to try that first.

Looks like it worked. I've been using the machine for several hours now with no trace of the original problem, which appeared within 10-30 minutes from startup.

So thanks a lot for all the help. I'll keep the suggestion on update in case I need it some time.

I was reading through the guide for installation, and came across the passage about doing an EC reset if you have a problem with mouse and/or keyboard so decided to try that first.

Looks like it worked. I've been using the machine for several hours now with no trace of the original problem, which appeared within 10-30 minutes from startup.

So thanks a lot for all the help. I'll keep the suggestion on update in case I need it some time.

Guess I assumed you would have done that already, since it is written in the guide...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back