Contribute
Register

Problem with intel HD 520 brightness help. (DELL 5557)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Drfrag, I used this pack. and I noticed several improvements, I have a slider in the system preferences, but the brightness doesn’t change slowing down, it just turns off when it reaches the end and doesn’t turn on again, just restarting, I noticed that my power management is better, and my video memory has increased to 2048mb, that was very good, another good thing I noticed was that now my hdmi audio works, but the image is only on the second screen, it does not appear on the integrated screen of the notebook. although this is not my main problem but it helped a lot, my trackap didn't work any gesture and neither did the right button, just the click. and to activate my wifi I added the voodooI2C kext to your pack. Doubt, did you use my dsdt files? I can keep using this EFI folder because it looks better than mine. is there anything else we can do to try to resolve the brightness and the trackpad? but once thanks.

[Update]

After putting the notebook to sleep and resuming, the image appears on the notebook screen and on the external monitor, the brightness also works after returning from sleep. only the brightness range that does not seem to reach the maximum because the screen is not very bright, that is, it does not seem to go up to the maximum brightness supporting the screen. in the system preferences the trackpad does not appear, his preferences are empty.
I had a Dell 5557 in 2017 but it broke the screen hinge before warranty ended and thankfully Dell exchanged my 5557 for a Dell 7560.
This is not your DSDT, but will work for you because it does not use DSDT. It is a hot patch and is supposed to work with bios on every version.
I think your trackpad does not show because you need another patch to activate I2C as you are now using voodooI2C kexts.
I will try to help you but I am not near my notebook now.
I am glad it works for you anyway.

@ricardos7 Look if trackpad is ok now.
Rebuild kextcache to activate kexts.
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /

Attachments

• 5557 Hot Patch V2.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 60
@ricardos7 Look if trackpad is ok now.
Rebuild kextcache to activate kexts.
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /
Hello, good night, unfortunately it still didn’t work, it’s still the same, but now the trackpad doesn’t work, it’s as if it hadn’t been installed, making it work by applying two pachs on my DSDT, so he activated the craziest mouse arrow, it didn’t click, the right button didn’t work and disappeared from one place and appeared in another, when I dragged the arrow and removed my finger from the trackpad it’s as if it appeared back to the top assembly, making it impossible to use, I removed the dsdt. and he stopped again. have you seen this problem or something? in relation to the brightness, it remains the same, it only works after sleep. Thanks for helping me.

[UPDATE]

I changed SMBUS for macbook pro 13.1 and the trackpad returned to work as a mouse, I think it was recognized by kext voodooPS2. the right button still does not work, I think it must be because the trackpad is functioning as a mouse and as in the mouse the click button is different from the right button and on the trackpad it is only one button for the two functions so it only recognizes the click.

in the trackpad preferences it is not detected and shows only that the mac is looking for a Blutooth trackpad as shown in the attached screenshot

[update] 4/5/2020

I added my dsdt to the efi folder that sent me and the trackpad worked with gestures, only the right button didn't work, so I tested putting the config that sent me in my own EFI folder, and added the SSDT-I2C too, the trackpad also worked but still without the right button, can I add my DSDT to the EFI folder that I received? or will I have a problem? these SSDT you sent me are from another device or are generic, because I have a dsdt of my own device, would it be better to use my own or can I use the ones you sent me without any problems?

Attachments

• IOreg_Dell_5557_ricardo.ioreg
    15.9 MB · Views: 38
  • Captura de Tela 2020-04-05 às 00.05.15.png
    Captura de Tela 2020-04-05 às 00.05.15.png
    24 KB · Views: 44
  • Captura de Tela 2020-04-05 às 00.29.07.png
    Captura de Tela 2020-04-05 às 00.29.07.png
    103 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
making it work by applying two pachs on my DSDT
Can you specify which patches are those?
Maybe I could make an SSDT for it
I changed SMBUS for macbook pro 13.1 and the trackpad returned to work as a mouse,
Hummm. It is possible that you need to clear NVRAM. Use clover to do it.

the right button still does not work
Have you enabled click with two fingers?
If I2c trackpad is enabled you should have the drag with two fingers from right to center working and notification bar should appear.
I added my dsdt to the efi folder that sent me and the trackpad worked with gestures
I need to know what patches have you applied to your DSDT to know how to help.
I did not use I2c trackpad when I had this notebook.
these SSDT you sent me are from another device or are generic, because I have a dsdt of my own device, would it be better to use my own or can I use the ones you sent me without any problems?
Some of them are generic, but specifically changed or tested on 5557.

I think your LCD EDID must be injected. Use Hackintool and make a kext on Displays tab. Chose a Mac 16:9 display and mark Inject Apple Info. Install this kext to /Library/Extensions and rebuild kextcache.

Hello .. Good night. The patch I applied was [Controllers] I2C Controllers [SKL] which is available in the repository http://raw.github.com/alexandred/VoodooI2C-Patches/master
I'm leaving it attached

Have you enabled click with two fingers?
If I2c trackpad is enabled you should have the drag with two fingers from right to center working and notification bar should appear.
Yes, I activated it, and it works exactly like that, the gestures work, I added my DSDT to the EFI folder that sent me there it worked, it just doesn't work the right click

I need to know what patches have you applied to your DSDT to know how to help.
I did not use I2c trackpad when I had this notebook.
The patches I applied were just the basics of the Hehabmam guide, follow the list., But I will leave my original folder of dsdt and ssdt vigens without paches if I need to.
"Fix _WAK Arg0 v2"
"HPET Fix"
"SMBUS Fix"
"IRQ Fix"
"RTC Fix"
"OS Check Fix"
"Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel"

[update]
The patches that I applied were only that of voodooI2C, the same one that is attached in that message.

if you could make this SSDT for me, it would be great, then you could specifically use the EFI folder that you sent me and that I am leaving attached, I would be grateful. I will leave attached, the EFI folder you sent me already updated with my DSDT and I also changed the SSDT-XOSI, and the SSDT-UIAC-ALL so that you can see the actions in dsdt, I will also leave my dsdt.dsl with the patches mentioned here, in addition to my original DSDT folder. thank you again.

[update]
My webcam was not working, so replace the SSDT-UIAC-ALL file with my own SSDT-USB that I had configured, after renaming it to SSDT-UIAC-ALL, now I have the webcam working normally and my usb too.

[update 2]

updated the attached EFI folder already with SSDT-uiac-all

The DSDT (3) .aml that is attached is the same as the one in the EFI folder, which is only with the I2C patch, also has a DSDTsempatch.dsl that is just correct and no patch has been applied. I don't know which ones you need so I'm attaching everything. thanks.

Attachments

• DSDT_origin_Dell_5557_Rick.zip
    76.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Patch i2C SKL.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 29
  • EFI.zip
    7.2 MB · Views: 46
  • DSDTsem_patches.dsl
    927.6 KB · Views: 33
  • DSDT (3).aml
    119.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I think your LCD EDID must be injected. Use Hackintool and make a kext on Displays tab. Chose a Mac 16:9 display and mark Inject Apple Info. Install this kext to /Library/Extensions and rebuild kextcache.

I did this procedure, generated the kext and installed it, but it didn't change anything, it generated 4 other files and I don't know what to do with them, just install the generated kext or do I need to do something with these generated files?

Attachments

• Captura de Tela 2020-04-05 às 21.15.49.png
    Captura de Tela 2020-04-05 às 21.15.49.png
    605.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Arquivo Comprimido.zip
    4.6 KB · Views: 34
I think that I found what was not working with I2C Trackpad. Your DSDT disables I2C0 if windows is older than Windows 2013, and we are faking windows 2012 to have brightness keys working using BRT6 patch. I have added a new _STA method removing condition that disables I2C0 based on OSYS.
Have you maxed your DVMT to 128 Mb?
If no, I think it is a good approach, so we can disable DVMT pre-alloc 32MB patch. Don't know if this could help with your panel, but we should try.
I enabled now USB port HS05 and HS06 to enable your camera. I don't remember which one was related to the camera or the SD card reader. Both of them didn't work on my old 5557. My camera was an INTEL with 3D sensor not recognized by OS X. You can look in IORegistryExplorer to know which port to disable your SD CARD (to save battery).
Added AppleBacklightFixup.kext, SSDT-PNLF.aml and SSDT-IGPU.aml. It was an old approach that worked before WhateverGreen.kext
Lets see results.
PS: to click with right button, just click using two fingers.

Attachments

• 5557 Hot Patch V3.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 53
Last edited:
can I add my DSDT to the EFI folder that I received?
We are trying to not use DSDT and have a BIOS update problem free approach.

Can you post the IORegistryExplorer version 2.1 extract of your notebook? Extract it using working camera USB please.

I think that I found what was not working with I2C Trackpad. Your DSDT disables I2C0 if windows is older than Windows 2013, and we are faking windows 2012 to have brightness keys working using BRT6 patch. I have added a new _STA method removing condition that disables I2C0 based on OSYS.

I tested the new EFI folder, the trackpad still doesn't work, it didn't work without the I2C Patch, that is, without the DSDT.

Have you maxed your DVMT to 128 Mb?
If no, I think it is a good approach, so we can disable DVMT pre-alloc 32MB patch. Don't know if this could help with your panel, but we should try.
Yes my video memory is set in the BIOS as 128mb.

I enabled now USB port HS05 and HS06 to enable your camera. I don't remember which one was related to the camera or the SD card reader. Both of them didn't work on my old 5557. My camera was an INTEL with 3D sensor not recognized by OS X. You can look in IORegistryExplorer to know which port to disable your SD CARD (to save battery).
Added AppleBacklightFixup.kext, SSDT-PNLF.aml and SSDT-IGPU.aml. It was an old approach that worked before WhateverGreen.kext
Lets see results.

The USB port that activates my webcam is the HS05, it was activated with the new EFI v3 but the trackpad was not. the card reader believed to be the HS06, I will try to activate it later if possible.

The brightness still doesn't work, now the brightness control that appeared in the system's preferences has disappeared. also disappeared the settings of the preferences trackpad as shown in the attached photo.

I am adding my IOreg using the system with and without the DSDT for analysis. the IOreg_Com_DSDT is the one with the dsdt in the pach folder and with the trackpad activated, the IOreg_sem_DSDT is the IOreg with the EFI v3 folder that I got.

I used version 3.0.2 of IOregistry, which is the one I have here, I think it is the newest one.

Another thing I noticed is that when I connect an HDMI cable to an external monitor (TV) the image goes to the monitor and disappears from the notebook, even if I put mirror integrated screen nothing changes, the image only appears on the extended monitor and the the note screen is almost blank but without showing an image. if i put the notebook to sleep, when it comes back the HDMI works standard and the image appears on both screens.

I used dsdt just to activate the trackpad and generate the IOreg reports. it is a great approach not to use DSDT. Thank you for helping me.

Attachments

• Captura de Tela 2020-04-07 às 17.15.16.png
    Captura de Tela 2020-04-07 às 17.15.16.png
    76.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Captura de Tela 2020-04-07 às 17.15.41.png
    Captura de Tela 2020-04-07 às 17.15.41.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Captura de Tela 2020-04-07 às 17.18.09.png
    Captura de Tela 2020-04-07 às 17.18.09.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IOreg_com_DSDT.ioreg
    23.2 MB · Views: 44
  • Captura de Tela 2020-04-07 às 19.17.00.png
    Captura de Tela 2020-04-07 às 19.17.00.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IOreg_sem_DSDT.ioreg
    15.7 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I tested the new EFI folder, the trackpad still doesn't work, it didn't work without the I2C Patch, that is, without the DSDT.
Ok. I tried to reproduce that I2C Patches on SSDT. Lets see now.

Yes my video memory is set in the BIOS as 128mb.
Good.
The USB port that activates my webcam is the HS05, it was activated with the new EFI
Ok. That is fine.
I will try to activate it later if possible
The SD Card is not compatible, so consider thing disabling it
now the brightness control that appeared in the system's preferences has disappeared
Hum, reverting back to Whatevergreen.
Another thing I noticed is that when I connect an HDMI cable to an external monitor (TV) the image goes to the monitor and disappears from the notebook, even if I put mirror integrated screen nothing changes, the image only appears on the extended monitor and the the note screen is almost blank but without showing an image
This problem I had too. The fix that I found to 5557 was to assign a screen corner on Mission Control to put my screen to sleep. After the screen sleeps, touch any key and the screen will turn on. You don't have to wait your notebook sleep. It is faster. Not a good solution, but works.

Attachments

• 5557 Hot Patch V3.1.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 56
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back