Contribute
Register

Problem with HDMI output on dual GPU laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP > Need full model name > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i7-7700HQ
Graphics
HD 630 & GTX 1050
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello recently I'm having some problems with my HDMI port on my HP Pavilion 15 cb076tx laptop:crazy:
The laptop uses GTX1050 alongside HD630. Though it's Optimus, the HDMI port is connected directly to the nvidia card (confirmed in Windows) which is disabled via DSDT patch, so under macOS it's not functioning at all. I wonder if there's a way to activate both cards (CLARIFICATION: I don't mean getting Optimus to work!) so that I can get my external monitor recognized by macOS.
Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• debug_19722.zip
    8.9 MB · Views: 60
Hello recently I'm having some problems with my HDMI port on my HP Pavilion 15 cb076tx laptop:crazy:
The laptop uses GTX1050 alongside HD630. Though it's Optimus, the HDMI port is connected directly to the nvidia card (confirmed in Windows) which is disabled via DSDT patch, so under macOS it's not functioning at all. I wonder if there's a way to activate both cards (CLARIFICATION: I don't mean getting Optimus to work!) so that I can get my external monitor recognized by macOS.
Thanks in advance!!

With HDMI directly connected to Nvidia, it is not Optimus (Optimus goes through Intel HD).
You may be able to get the HDMI port working with the Nvidia web drivers.
Of course, no such Nvidia web drivers available for Mojave yet, so that experiment would need to happen using High Sierra.

With HDMI directly connected to Nvidia, it is not Optimus (Optimus goes through Intel HD).
Your words make me really confused... In Windows I see both cards in device manager, and if that's not Optimus, how do they work together?

As to the web driver, I'll soon give it a try :D

Your words make me really confused... In Windows I see both cards in device manager, and if that's not Optimus, how do they work together?

It is like dual-GPU on a desktop.
IGPU is connected to internal display.
DGPU is connected to external HDMI.

It is like dual-GPU on a desktop.
IGPU is connected to internal display.
DGPU is connected to external HDMI.
But in Windows, I can see some auto switch settings in nvidia control panel, and also have the choice of "run with nvidia GPU" in right-click menus. It's highly likely that the two cards are wired in a strange way:
GTX1050---HD630---internal display (Optimus)
GTX1050---HDMI port (not Optimus)
Could this be true?
I also used a tiny tool to confirm this. In Windows, NvOptimusTestViewer.exe worked pretty fine, showing the nvidia card sometimes active while sometimes not...

But in Windows, I can see some auto switch settings in nvidia control panel, and also have the choice of "run with nvidia GPU" in right-click menus. It's highly likely that the two cards are wired in a strange way:
Could this be true?
I also used a tiny tool to confirm this. In Windows, NvOptimusTestViewer.exe worked pretty fine, showing the nvidia card sometimes active while sometimes not...

The Windows app probably allows you to switch into Optimus mode on the fly.
You could try those options then investigate by looking at monitor properties (as that tells you which device is connected to the monitor).
It is possible there is some sort of strange hybrid.
Whether it can work well in macOS is up to you to find out by testing.

The Windows app probably allows you to switch into Optimus mode on the fly.
You could try those options then investigate by looking at monitor properties (as that tells you which device is connected to the monitor).
It is possible there is some sort of strange hybrid.
Whether it can work well in macOS is up to you to find out by testing.
So before making further investigation, I'd like to make sure whether there is a possibility that I could use both graphics cards simultaneously in macOS...?
Internal display connected to the iGPU while external display the dGPU, and get the same output?

So before making further investigation, I'd like to make sure whether there is a possibility that I could use both graphics cards simultaneously in macOS...?
Internal display connected to the iGPU while external display the dGPU, and get the same output?

I'm not very good at predicting the future. You will need to test/experiment and see what happens.

Could this be true?

This is Optimus i.e. switching automatically between iGPU and Dedicated one. See if there's a BIOS option that lets you decide which GPU to go for, you probably won't have as its a feature for high-end Gaming laptops which also sometimes come with a switch on keyboard that lets you choose the GPU.

Also, I am forgetting right now since on Mac but if you connect monitor to your HDMI port, there's a place where it tells you under Nvidia settings or Windows itself which port is connected to where.

This is Optimus i.e. switching automatically between iGPU and Dedicated one. See if there's a BIOS option that lets you decide which GPU to go for, you probably won't have as its a feature for high-end Gaming laptops which also sometimes come with a switch on keyboard that lets you choose the GPU.
oooops... My laptop isn't a high-end one and the BIOS is as simple as rubbish. No switch for disabling iGPU :banghead:
Also, I am forgetting right now since on Mac but if you connect monitor to your HDMI port, there's a place where it tells you under Nvidia settings or Windows itself which port is connected to where.
Yes, it's just in the Win10 settings app, advanced display settings or sth like that. When I attach a monitor through HDMI, I can see which GPU it's connected to. It's definitely connected to the dGPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back