Contribute
Register

Problem with HD 4600 Graphics. Recognized, but no Kext loaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks. Running an i7-4790K on an GA-Z87N-Wifi board, 16GB 1600 DDR3 and trying to use the integrated hd 4600 graphics. I am stuck running in 1024x768, and adding a Graphics Mode flag for the proper resolution in my boot plist only makes for a never-ending boot, usually a hang having to do with CPUPowerManagement.

In "About This Mac", next to Graphics it reads 'Display 3 MB', which is just wrong. It's also strange that it says Display and not "Intel HD Graphics 4600"

View attachment 106985

In my more in-depth system specs I get this under Graphics/Displays:

View attachment 106986

Display:

Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 3 MB
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 10
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0412
Revision ID: 0x0006
Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes

and furthermore in terminal bdmesg I get this:

---------------------------------------------
------------ INTEL DEVICE INFO --------------
Class code: [0300]
Intel HD Graphics 4600 [8086:0412] (rev 06)
Subsystem: [1458:d000] :: PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x2,0x0)
Using default ig-platform-id of 0d220003

I was thinking I was going to have to add a IGPlatformID flag to my chameleon plist but these show without a doubt that the CPU and hd 4600 graphics are being recognized. It's just being allotted 3MB when it should be getting the 64MB that my BIOS settings are set to. All I can land on for a problem is the No Kext Loaded in Kernel Extension Info.

What is, and where can I find, this kext? On intel's site I only find driver listings for Windows and Linux.

Boot "-f" and post ioreg: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html

I made the jump to Unibeast Yosemite installation, hoping that it would solve some sort of problem...It didn't. Exactly the same problem, only worse in that the measly VRAM I get from "Display 7 MB" under Graphics listing instead of "Intel HD Graphics 4600" is even worse for running the effects of Yosemite. Anyway, I booted with -f (and the other required flags to be successful on my machine, -v -x IGPEnabler=Yes PCIRootUID=1 "Graphics Mode"="1600x1200x32") and got an ioreg for you. It's attached. I didn't really know what I was looking for but it is a red flag that my GFX listing says Apple display and Display boot and absolutely nothing about the HD 4600 Graphics. What in the hell is going on?

Attachments

• Kellan’s Mac Pro.zip
    334.5 KB · Views: 131
Even though my CPU Profile, Platform and Device IDs should all be the defaults, what specific flags could I put in to inject the Intel Graphics manually? Isn't there an InjectIntel-ig flag of some sort? I feel like the components are all there, but some configuration, whether it be hardware or BIOS/UEFI (although I have quintuple checked this!) is preventing the Intel graphics from being initiated. It is recognized on boot, but not utilized in anyway was according to any of the logs I have. What the hell?

Thinking of starting all over again with Yosemite and Clover this time, unless somebody has any helpful ideas? I just need someone to diagnose my problem properly, as I am not experienced enough to do so myself. I've seen people with "Display 7 MB" problems on this board, but their solutions are either outdated, don't apply to me or my settings, or were fixed through some cable error. I have tried DVI-I and HDMI to no avail. I have manually flagged for Platform ID and Device ID. The only part I have no experience with is messing with, replacing, or adding new kexts. If an IntelHD kext isn't loading, and I know they are in my extensions folder, how can I fix that?

RehabMan did you get a chance to check out the ioreg?

Somehow back to only being able to boot with -x...

I installed chimera when I ran my MultiBeast settings after Mavericks was installed. I think it was a mandatory/greyed out option I couldn't uncheck. I was under the impression that Chimera and Chameleon were in cahoots and that the chameleon boot plist affected both. But to be honest with you, I didn't know they were different, or what the consequences of having one and not the other or both are.

Anyway here's my current boot plist:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>IGPlatformID</key>
<string>0d220003</string>
<key>IGPDeviceID</key>
<string>0412</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string> PCIRootUID=1</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>HDEFLayoutID</key>
<string>01000000</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>"1600x1200x32"</string>
<key>HDAEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Off this specific topic, but is it possible that I've got a bad kext or some specific error in this compatibility (4790K, HD 4600) that just happened to arise for 10.9.5 Mavericks and Chimera 3.0.1?

*Edit* Just checked MultiBeast. Chimera's not mandatory, but it says to choose one, and it's the only one there. How do I get just chameleon? Is that what is integrated into unibeast to allow for boot to installer/fresh OSx install?

There are some errors in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

PCIRootUID should not be under Kernel Flags, it should have its own key. Like this:

<key>PCIRootUID</key>
<string>0</string>

Try 0 for the value first! Even though you sometimes have to set it to 1 for the OS X installer window to display, after OS X is installed you should try it on 0 first if you're using integrated graphics.

Also,

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

You shouldn't need the quotes. Just

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1600x1200x32</string>

should work.

Somehow back to only being able to boot with -x...

I installed chimera when I ran my MultiBeast settings after Mavericks was installed. I think it was a mandatory/greyed out option I couldn't uncheck. I was under the impression that Chimera and Chameleon were in cahoots and that the chameleon boot plist affected both. But to be honest with you, I didn't know they were different, or what the consequences of having one and not the other or both are.

Anyway here's my current boot plist:

<string>Yes</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>IGPlatformID</key>
<key>IGPDeviceID</key>
<string>0412</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>HDEFLayoutID</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<key>HDAEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Off this specific topic, but is it possible that I've got a bad kext or some specific error in this compatibility (4790K, HD 4600) that just happened to arise for 10.9.5 Mavericks and Chimera 3.0.1?

*Edit* Just checked MultiBeast. Chimera's not mandatory, but it says to choose one, and it's the only one there. How do I get just chameleon? Is that what is integrated into unibeast to allow for boot to installer/fresh OSx install?
Try with this change to .boot.plist. Make changes in bold type

<string>Yes</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>IGPlatformID</key>
<key>IGPDeviceID</key>
<string>0412</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>HDEFLayoutID</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1600x1200x32</string>
<key>HDAEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

I have very similar issue as MartySMcFly88 described in the initial post on Gigabyte H87M-HD3 and i5 4460 (that should be HD 4600, right?). After many trials I've managed to end up with Boot.plist version that seems to recognise my IGFX card:
Screenshot 2015-02-15 16.19.38.png
but the screen is flickering and graphics effects are very slow (see more details in http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...kering-redraw-yosemite-hd4600.html#post986021).

My current Boot.plist is:
Code:
<dict>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>IGPEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>kext-dev-mode=1</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>2</string>
        <key>HDEFLayoutID</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
        <key>HDAEnabler</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Entering any specific IGPlatform/Device IDs resulted in either very poor overall performance (literally mouse cursor was slow), or lower memory allocated to GFX (with no Kext Loaded), or GFX not even recognised, or lower resolution (1024x768).

I've tried suggestions from http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...lags-igpenabler-igplatformid-igpdeviceid.html (0D220003, 0412; but those should be default options anyways).
I've also tried FakePCIID http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...ics-fix-full-support-alternate-cpus-os-x.html without success as well.
Maybe I should try to change the System Definition from Multibeast default MacPro3,1 to something else (which supports HD4600) - I've tried iMac14,2 as RehabMan suggested in one of the post, but I wasn't able to boot afterwards.
I've tried so many things, that I'm starting to loose the track what had which effect, so anyone wants me to try something specific, I'll be glad to - I'm out of ideas.

Strange is that computer was stable for a long time (several months), no HW was changed, no system was updated and then one day last week the boot froze, and I was able to boot only with -x -v GraphicsEnabler=Yes maxmem=4096 PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000. I tried reapplying MultiBeast, repair perms (which solved the situation once before) but without success this time. After several trials I've decided to try upgrading to Yosemite ending up with this problem with graphics (which I don't get, because Maverics didn't have issues running on HD4600).

RehabMan, you seem to know what's going on with the graphics, or anyone else who's got any hits I'll welcome it very much as I'm quite desperate here :( !

I'm attaching my IOReg export as well. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 2015-02-17 Divide Mac Pro.ioreg
    9 MB · Views: 97
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back