Contribute
Register

Problem with HD 4600 Graphics. Recognized, but no Kext loaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z87N-Wifi
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
Intel HD 4600
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi folks. Running an i7-4790K on an GA-Z87N-Wifi board, 16GB 1600 DDR3 and trying to use the integrated hd 4600 graphics. I am stuck running in 1024x768, and adding a Graphics Mode flag for the proper resolution in my boot plist only makes for a never-ending boot, usually a hang having to do with CPUPowerManagement.

In "About This Mac", next to Graphics it reads 'Display 3 MB', which is just wrong. It's also strange that it says Display and not "Intel HD Graphics 4600"

Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 10.06.54 PM.png

In my more in-depth system specs I get this under Graphics/Displays:

Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 10.11.45 PM.png

Display:

Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 3 MB
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 10
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0412
Revision ID: 0x0006
Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes

and furthermore in terminal bdmesg I get this:

---------------------------------------------
------------ INTEL DEVICE INFO --------------
Class code: [0300]
Intel HD Graphics 4600 [8086:0412] (rev 06)
Subsystem: [1458:d000] :: PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x2,0x0)
Using default ig-platform-id of 0d220003

I was thinking I was going to have to add a IGPlatformID flag to my chameleon plist but these show without a doubt that the CPU and hd 4600 graphics are being recognized. It's just being allotted 3MB when it should be getting the 64MB that my BIOS settings are set to. All I can land on for a problem is the No Kext Loaded in Kernel Extension Info.

What is, and where can I find, this kext? On intel's site I only find driver listings for Windows and Linux.

A complete redo, all the way to making a new USB, fresh install, meticulously followed successful builds with my hardware, and I'm landing on the SAME exact problem. There's gotta be someone out there who can talk me through this!

this is how i got HD4600 working simply add this to your boot.plist and set 64m in bios also make sure GraphicsEnabler=Yes is set to no and try it :thumbup:

<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>IGPlatformID</key>
<string>0d220003</string>
<key>IGPDeviceID</key>
<string>0412</string>

I'll give that a shot now. But before I do...

"make sure GraphicsEnabler=Yes is set to no and try it"

Are you saying Make it <key>GraphicsEnabler</key> <string>No</string>?

This is my current boot.plist:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string> PCIRootUID=1</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>HDEFLayoutID</key>
<string>01000000</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>"1600x1200x32"</string>
<key>HDAEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

I can't tell how much of this is extraneous or needed. I've never gotten a solid yes or no to P and C states for a K processor. Lots of wishy-washy "try yes and no". Anyway, off to try your suggestion!

you don't need GraphicsEnabler when using IGPEnabler also you need IGPEnabler=Yes in order to use HD 4600 or 4000 etc so basically you need in your boot.plist is this
<key>IGPEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>
<key>IGPlatformID</key>
<key>IGPDeviceID</key>
<string>0412</string>

Caused a hang around CPUPowerManagement and some IOBluetooth connections stuff. I've seen that a lot for different sorts of problems through, so I'm sure that's not the actual problem here.
I'm only able to boot properly in safe mode (-x). When I do I still have the same strange 'Display 7 MB' listing instead of Intel HD Graphics 4600.

My system definition is set at iMac 14,2 per multiple recent guides suggestion. I've heard Mac Pro 3,1 (I think) is very stable. I dunno if changing my definition would helpd. Doubt it...

*removed GraphicsEnabler=No from my boot.plist entirely and i can now boot cleanly. Still the graphics problem though at hand, however.*

have you updated your bios?

F6 is the most recent BIOS for my board. I had to update is when i first got the board (got the 1.x rev instead of 2.0rev)

can you post your boot.plist below also are you using Chameleon Bootloader or Chimera?

Somehow back to only being able to boot with -x...

I installed chimera when I ran my MultiBeast settings after Mavericks was installed. I think it was a mandatory/greyed out option I couldn't uncheck. I was under the impression that Chimera and Chameleon were in cahoots and that the chameleon boot plist affected both. But to be honest with you, I didn't know they were different, or what the consequences of having one and not the other or both are.

Anyway here's my current boot plist:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>IGPlatformID</key>
<key>IGPDeviceID</key>
<string>0412</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string> PCIRootUID=1</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>HDEFLayoutID</key>
<string>01000000</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>"1600x1200x32"</string>
<key>HDAEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Off this specific topic, but is it possible that I've got a bad kext or some specific error in this compatibility (4790K, HD 4600) that just happened to arise for 10.9.5 Mavericks and Chimera 3.0.1?

*Edit* Just checked MultiBeast. Chimera's not mandatory, but it says to choose one, and it's the only one there. How do I get just chameleon? Is that what is integrated into unibeast to allow for boot to installer/fresh OSx install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back