Contribute
Register

Problem Installing XP on separate HD.. AHCI issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, OS X drive and XP drive connected, Boot to OS X, download Chimera stand alone installer, run it and select the boot partition on the XP drive to install it on and install it, right?
Yep, this is what I did.

Reboot and make sure the XP drive is first in boot order, right?
Yep, I went into BIOS and made sure it was the first drive to boot. When I start up, it still defaults to Lion and doesn't see XP or Boot.

If you show all files, do you see a file called boot in the root of your Lion install?
I do have this file in the root of my Lion install. Should this file also be copied to the Boot partition of the XP drive and/or deleted from Lion?

EDIT: never mind, since you restored from backup.
Getting XP to work right was really a pain and it has been so long since I messed with it I don't really remember what tricks I pulled to get it working. I would try installing per the old guide I wrote and try to see where you might have gone wrong (or where I did when I wrote it) but I no longer have XP - sold the DVD along with the old computer.

Why not do what I did? Have a HDD/SSD for each OS and get a hotswap bay like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2E114X4573 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2E114N4820 and only have the OS you are currently booting in the computer. Sure has made it easier to boot the OS I want when I want without having to worry about a bootloader other than the one provided with the OS.

Ideally that would be a good idea, but atm I can't justify any more money on my "hobby" if you know what I mean. I may try erasing the Boot partition, because at least then I could boot XP by just choosing it with F12 on start up. XP will probably be used like 10% of the time anyway, just a necessity for a program that's giving me a huge headache with fonts and file names in Win7.

I sincerely appreciate all your help, if you have any brilliant ideas, let me know. Thanks again!

I do have this file in the root of my Lion install. Should this file also be copied to the Boot partition of the XP drive and/or deleted from Lion?

Yes, this file needs to be copied over into the boot partition.

I was dumb and thought I'd give this one more try. I copied over my /extra folder to my XP boot partition as well as the boot file that was in the root of my Lion drive. I installed Chimera on the boot partition of the XP drive. I erased /extra and the boot file from Lion an repaired permissions.

I booted up and in BIOS made certain that my XP drive was on top of the boot order. When it gets to Chimera, it still gives me the same options, Lion, Reserved, NTSF, and Cloned(my cloned backup). I can boot Win7 just fine by choosing "Reserved". However, I can't get Lion or Cloned to boot, they hang at the grey screen. I can't even see the XP drive in Chimera.

I tried to cmd-r on startup to revert back with time machine, but it still hangs at the grey screen. I booted from Lion USB drive and restored from time machine, but now Lion is giving me the boot0: error

I wish I would have just left it. All I can boot now is Win7. :(

I was dumb and thought I'd give this one more try. I copied over my /extra folder to my XP boot partition as well as the boot file that was in the root of my Lion drive. I installed Chimera on the boot partition of the XP drive. I erased /extra and the boot file from Lion an repaired permissions.

I booted up and in BIOS made certain that my XP drive was on top of the boot order. When it gets to Chimera, it still gives me the same options, Lion, Reserved, NTSF, and Cloned(my cloned backup). I can boot Win7 just fine by choosing "Reserved". However, I can't get Lion or Cloned to boot, they hang at the grey screen. I can't even see the XP drive in Chimera.

I tried to cmd-r on startup to revert back with time machine, but it still hangs at the grey screen. I booted from Lion USB drive and restored from time machine, but now Lion is giving me the boot0: error

I wish I would have just left it. All I can boot now is Win7. :(
This is frustrating! It worked with Snow Leopard and there is no reason it shouldn't work with Lion as well.
Do you have any Hide Partition instructions left over in your org.chameleon.boot.plist?

Just to eliminate any confusion between icons, can you boot Win7 please and click on the explore icon in the commmand bar, right click on the c drive and select properties. On the general tab at the top below general there is a drive icon with the Win7 flag and a text box to the right of it. Click in the text box and type Win7 to name the C drive, close the window. Do the same thing with XP - open explorer, right click on the C drive below My Computer, select properties and type WinXP in the text box to name it and close the Window. Now when you boot with Chimera your Win7 C drive icon should show up as Win7 in the pick list and the WinXP drive will show up as WnXP. This will eliminate any confusion between NTFS drives in Chimera.
A possibility - and I am grasping at straws here - install XP normally and put the 100Mb partition at the end of the drive instead of the beginning. Put the /Extra and boot file there.

Post results.

EDIT - Something that just occurred to me - If you install XP with the boot partition and then install Chimera, pointed at the boot partition on the XP drive, does it put the boot file there? This would indicate that Chimera was installing properly. All needed then is the /Extra file to be copied to the boot partition.
With this done, and only the XP drive is connected, when you boot does chimera work properly - the icon shows up and the timer bar? When it times out does it boot WinXP automatically? If you hit a key to stop the timer is there an XP drive icon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back