i7-4790S
Graphics
GT 740
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have my H87N-WIFI board working fine with GT 740 graphics on El Capitan/Clover. I tried disabling Intel graphics in the BIOS, since I'm not using them anyway. When I do this, at startup, instead of the login screen I get a black screen that flashes a glimpse of a cursor once every 5 or 10 seconds. I can't actually get into the system. I tried with inject Intel set to both true and false in the config.plist. The only way I can get things working is with integrated graphics enabled in the BIOS and inject Intel set to true.

Any idea what I need to do to disable Intel graphics and keep the system working?

I have my H87N-WIFI board working fine with GT 740 graphics on El Capitan/Clover. I tried disabling Intel graphics in the BIOS, since I'm not using them anyway. When I do this, at startup, instead of the login screen I get a black screen that flashes a glimpse of a cursor once every 5 or 10 seconds. I can't actually get into the system. I tried with inject Intel set to both true and false in the config.plist. The only way I can get things working is with integrated graphics enabled in the BIOS and inject Intel set to true.

Any idea what I need to do to disable Intel graphics and keep the system working?

are you using inject nvidia?
in bios do you have your PCIe card selected?

No (since the GT 740 doesn't seem to need inject nvidia).
And in the BIOS I have boot video set to PCIe 1.
My monitor has only been plugged into the HDMI on the GT 740 all along, and I get the BIOS and login and everything on it when it's working.

No (since the GT 740 doesn't seem to need inject nvidia).
And in the BIOS I have boot video set to PCIe 1.
My monitor has only been plugged into the HDMI on the GT 740 all along, and I get the BIOS and login and everything on it when it's working.

Are you booting with verbose (-v) option? Get a print screen of where it sits or kernel panics.

Another thought do you have the proper clover command nvda_drv=1 and updated webdrivers installed?

The problem happens after the boot switches from text to graphical mode, so -v doesn't really help. Instead of the end of the progress bar and/or a login screen, I get a black screen. But it is sending something to the monitor, which shows the correct 4K resolution (as opposed to, e.g. "No Signal"). Every 10 or 12 seconds I get a flash of the mouse, either stationary or moving if I've been waving it around the whole time, but never any background or login/restart widgets or anything -- just a brief flash of the mouse against the black background, then back to all black. It's not frozen or crashed in the sense that the mouse can still move when I get the occasional glimpse of it. :)

I haven't used the WebDrivers because I haven't needed to (it works fine so long as Intel graphics are enabled but unused -- the behavior above is only when Intel graphics are disabled in BIOS). I haven't used nvda_drv=1 again, because I haven't needed to. I could try those I suppose. Strange that they would only be needed if the Intel graphics were disabled, though.

Could it be that my SMbios (iMac14,1) causes it to expect the Intel graphics to be present?

Did you figure out exactly how to fix this? I have had the exact same issue appear and have had to restore a few times while trying to stay on the bleeding beta edge (Probably should not with this but hey, we all like to play.)

Nope. I asked in the thread Toleda recommended, and didn't get much of a response. Some people clearly have OS X working with Intel graphics disabled, but others just recommend leaving it enabled. Unless you feel strongly about Beats 1 radio or DRM'd movies, I'm not sure it matters a lot.

The reply confirmed the method works.

Look, I'm not trying to start an argument, but the only reply I got was this: "For me, I have my HD4600 enabled in bios and AirPlay mirroring works fine."

That is a reply to a question that I did not ask. The question I asked was whether it's possible to have the HD4600 disabled in BIOS.

Do you have any thoughts on whether it is/should be possible to have everything work with integrated GPU disabled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back