Contribute
Register

Problem after updating to 10.8.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are no IOHDACodecDevice entries (Dooh!) The IOReg from 10.8.4 had 1B,2 and 1B,3 entries with correct VendoirCodecIDs for ALC889. They are gone after the update.
AppleHDA.kext did not load.
Need a screenshot of About This Mac/..../System Information/Software/Extensions - Select AppleHDA.kext

For those that have posted on this tread without the attachments requested in Post #3, do not expect a reply.

I had the very same problem today when I did the update via the App Store... no sound on reboot. Here's what I did:

1) I downloaded AppleHDA.kext.zip from this site: https://code.google.com/p/hackintos...nloads/detail?name=AppleHDA.kext.zip&can=2&q=

2) Next I copied the existing driver to the desktop for safe keeping.

3) After extraction I copied the downloaded driver to /System/Library/Extensions giving permission to replace the pre-existing file. Then reboot.

4) Reboot was OK, but there was a loud pop over the speakers as the OS loaded. Sound was back!.

5) I reasoned that the driver I downloaded was a bit outdated (hence the "pop!") so I used Multi-Beast to update the driver. Success! Reboot.

6) Kernel panic!! Damn it.... what now? I reasoned that the AppleHDA driver was the culprit. so I rebooted into the UEFI setup and disabled the onboard audio. Rebooted.

7) Booted OK with no kernel panic, but no sound. Removed AppleHDA.kext from the /System/Library/Extensions folder. Booted again into UEFI setup, this time to re-enable the onboard audio.

8) Hurrah! Booted OK with sound!

1) I downloaded AppleHDA.kext.zip from this site: https://code.google.com/p/hackintosh...t.zip&can=2&q=

2) Next I copied the existing driver to the desktop for safe keeping.

3) After extraction I copied the downloaded driver to /System/Library/Extensions giving permission to replace the pre-existing file. Then reboot.

4) Reboot was OK, but there was a loud pop over the speakers as the OS loaded. Sound was back!.

I followed more or less the same procedure.

1) rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/[VoodooHDA.kext AppleHDA.kext HDAEnabler*.kext]

2) Installed the AppleHDA from above + HDAEnabler889.kext. Reboot. No sound.

3) Again rm -rf and installed the MultiBeast Version. Reboot.

4) Sound again as usual!

I have to note that I have already tried to install the MultiBeast version with no luck. Probably the proposed AppleHDA trigged something that made it work?

Evidently OSX found and installed a driver, which works better than the HDA driver I used before the 10.8.5 update. Now I have fully working front panel audio jacks, which were dead before. Also my mic inputs are cleaner than before.

Evidently OSX found and installed a driver, which works better than the HDA driver I used before the 10.8.5 update. Now I have fully working front panel audio jacks, which were dead before. Also my mic inputs are cleaner than before.
OS X does not work like drivers in Windows. If the "driver" is AppleHDA.kext, every version of AppleHDA binary and AppleHDAController binary work the same. The trigger could have been shutting down with the power button rather the GUI Shutdown. When this problem is solved, the problem will not have been caused by an audio failure, rather, audio failed as a result of a different problem.

Back to the 10.8.5 problem, did MultiBeast finish successfully or with the Installation Failed message?

"The trigger could have been shutting down with the power button rather the GUI Shutdown. When this problem is solved, the problem will not have been caused by an audio failure, rather, audio failed as a result of a different problem."

Well, I don't power down except via the command. And the only difference between the system before the kernel panic and when it occurred was the AppleHDA.kext installed by MB. By disabling the audio hardware I was able to prevent the panic because the extension wasn't in use the next time I booted. I then removed the AppleHDA.kext file. Next I rebooted with the audio hardware enabled. OSX booted correctly and the sound was back, though now there is no AppleHDA.kext file resident in the /System folder. OSX is evidently using a different driver, 'cause AppleHDA ain't there.

I am also having kernel panics in applehda* after upgrading to 10.8.5.

Have a gigabyte z68ap-d3 and before i was using alc889 patch.

rgds

Pieter

Attachments

• 2013-09-14 15.14.35.jpg
    2013-09-14 15.14.35.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 202
My kernel panic problem came back. I tried using KextBeast to install AppleHDA.kext version 2.3.1 (ver 2.3.7 seems to be extension installed by the 10.8.5 update which doesn't work at all). Next I rebuilt the permissions using the Kext Wizard. Now I've got a "working" audio icon in the menu bar (i.e. not greyed out) and the System Preference/Sound shows an installed device, but there's no sound at all.

Personally I think Apple engineers these updates just to **** with us.

I am also having kernel panics in applehda* after upgrading to 10.8.5.
Are you looking at the image you posted. AppleHDA is not mentioned. AppleIntelSNBGraphics is mentioned several times. You have a Sandy Bridge graphics problem, not an audio problem. Off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back