Contribute
Register

Probability of GPD Win 2 Kexts Being Developed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. The GPD Win 2 had been announced and will probably be coming in early 2018. For those who don't know, it is a handheld gaming PC/Laptop. The first version has an Intel Atom X7-Z8700/X7-Z8750 processor, which made it incapable of running macOS natively without a virtual machine - though running it in a virtual machine is still a challenge.

But the second version is going to have an Intel Core M3-7Y30 CPU, which should theoretically allow it to be capable of running macOS. The question is, is it likely that there will anybody to develop kexts for the specific device once it is announced? Maybe RehabMan?

I think many owners will eventually want to run macOS on it, knowing that it could be compatible, in terms of the CPU architecture. If we can get some early development for it, it will be a really cool concept.

Hello. The GPD Win 2 had been announced and will probably be coming in early 2018. For those who don't know, it is a handheld gaming PC/Laptop. The first version has an Intel Atom X7-Z8700/X7-Z8750 processor, which made it incapable of running macOS natively without a virtual machine - though running it in a virtual machine is still a challenge.

But the second version is going to have an Intel Core M3-7Y30 CPU, which should theoretically allow it to be capable of running macOS. The question is, is it likely that there will anybody to develop kexts for the specific device once it is announced? Maybe RehabMan?

I think many owners will eventually want to run macOS on it, knowing that it could be compatible, in terms of the CPU architecture. If we can get some early development for it, it will be a really cool concept.

Read the FAQ for compatibility issues/procedures/etc:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Yeah, I think the main things needing support will be the controller sticks because they're used for mouse control and scrolling. Also the touch screen if possible.
I wouldn't be surprised If the mouse works oob. And for the joystick controls and buttons (read all the standard PS/Xbox controls) You might have a good chance that the Xbox Controller drivers would work.
I'm really curious if its possible for this unit, I'm interested as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back