Contribute
Register

Pro Video Editing: X99 deluxe - I7-5930k - GTX 970, 4K UHD professional editing, any chance of Hacki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mac Pro
CPU
I7 5930K
Graphics
GTX 970 4GB
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I thought to go for Shilloh's build for Eric, but it doesn't feel good to buy three year old hardware.
Especially because I'd want enough 6GB sata/ USB3.0 for video editing (soon 4k) I would need to go for an expensive x79 board, while most X99 already have those things standard.

I know there is no 'official' support for X99 yet, but I'd like a new computer soon and am willing to use it first on Windows (as I still can use my Mac Pro)

@TRS96 wrote some weeks ago it could take 6 months to a year for the x99 to work, though @tonymacx86 did write a first guide http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...ard-temporary-guide-os-x-10-9-4-10-9-5-a.html
and people like @samtimbaud have it working. (and I think @InsaneCultist too?)

I've read that @sofoalex @Going Bald @TEAMSWITCHER are also planning to buy the x99, so I hope to hear your opinion. Any advice on the hardware list below (that has a better chance to hack in the future) is welcome.

Intel Core i7-5930K / 3.5 GHz
ASUS X99-DELUXE
(or is Gigabyte still recommended/ more easy to hack?)

MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
(or MSI GTX 770 4GB, if that makes a better hackintosh chance)

Crucial - DDR4 SDRAM 2 x 8 GB - DIMM 288-PIN - 2133 MHz / PC4-17000 - CL15 - 1.2 V - ECC
(as DDR4 is expensive, I will start with this and can buy more of those later. 2x16GB isn't more wise, because there are 8 Dimms, with 64GB max anyway, right? )

Pioneer BDR-209DBK a
(or is there a better 'hackintosh' bluray burner, as I heared negative things about LG Internal UH12NS30)Noctua NF-F12 PWM
Noctua NH-D14 SE2011
(or any newer/ quiet one)
Samsung 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256
2x Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001
(in Raid)
Fractal Design Define R4
Microsoft Windows 8 Pro

A store will build it for me. I would have to do the hackintosh part myself (later on a different drive)

2. If I'd had to work on Windows first, does anyone know how changing between Mac/ Windows platform is nowadays? Fonts still an issue I suppose, are Premiere Pro CS6 projects/ files easy to work on 'cross platform'. Is it nowadays possible to export to Quicktime (ProRes) from PC?

Many thanks!

Sounds good to me Tommy. I would certainly opt for an X99 system now
over an X79 build. Get your build started, run Windows for the time being
and you'll be ready to go once the New Mac Pro 2013 gets a refresh with
the X99/C610 chipset. Many are working on this already but why be an
early adopter if you can wait for full OS X support? To quote the line from
Field of Dreams: "If you build it, OS X support will come." :thumbup:

@trs96 Thanks!

Anyone else?
I will place the order within the next few days, so please let me know any hardware suggestions to have more luck with OSX in the hopefully nearby future.

Looking at putting together a similar build. Very interested in your results.

Hi Thomas! I'd really like to know how your build works, did you encounter any problems with the 970graphics card? Or did it just work on mavericks?

Greetings,
Alex
I don't know yet. It works fine on Windows now, so I am waiting for some spare time and a prefer a success/ golden build. If I make progress I will post it here.

So do You think gtx 970 will be fully supported? I have similar choice problem between gtx 770 and gtx 970. Im afraid of being unable to run osx with 970. Do you have any knowledge of how apple adapts new GPUs? Was it similar with 7xx being initially not supported?

I have bought the computer as written above. With i7-5930K, X99-DELUXE, GTX 970 Gaming 4G

I will start trying to install OSX. Starting with this :
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...ard-temporary-guide-os-x-10-9-4-10-9-5-a.html

If there are other suggestions, let me know.

970 is only supported under Yosemite. ..I learned the hard way. PLUS, I think tonymac also mentions this at the top of the post for the new NVIDIA Web drivers post that includes support for 970/980

Well, but will I be able to run maverics using integrated intel HD 4600 and ignore gtx 970? I need OS X just for XCode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back