CPU
Intel 10700k
Graphics
none
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Greetings to you all! I'm currently planning a build for a studio Hackintosh based around the tonymac custom mac pro setup (
GA-Z77X-UP5-TH, Intel Core i7-3770K etc) but there are a few areas i need some pointers on. This is my first build so please forgive me if I ask some dumb-ass questions!

Firstly the way I work...I have two Pro-tools PCIe HD2 cards. Pro tools is currently can either stream audio from disk or from ram. Ram streaming gives a much faster response time. I also stream virtual instruments (Omnisphere, Kontakt etc)mostly from ram but can also be from disk. Effects plug-ins also run in the sessions and use up processor power as do the virtual instruments.

What I need...More than anything it needs to be super super quiet..I want to overclock, but quietly! I've seen quieter PSU's and coolers other than those on in the guides...will these work or do i need to stick to those items on the list? Can anyone recommend Really quiet coolers etc?

I currently run two Graphics cards (four monitors) in my new build can i run two monitors from the motherboard and two from a separate CPU? Guess my other big question is is this system going to be up to the job? If I turn my Pro-tools system into a native one (No processing done by the cards) Can I run hundreds of stereo tracks (48k with plug-ins) , virtual instruments (mainly orchestral so quite processor hungry) and HD quicktime movies?

So how quiet can I make it? Is it up to the job? Would love to hear from anyone who has successfully done this for a similar Pro-Tools setup!

Thanks

Peter

The quietest, most efficient air CPU coolers I have used are the Megahalems with 2 Noctua PWM controlled fans in push-pull mode and the Noctua NH-D14.

Peter,

Considering your interests, I would start on this board, you will find a lot of suitable information by doing a little reading. You will also be familiarising yourself with the site a little better.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/music

Make sure that each of your monitors will work with DVI-D or HDMI (No VGA)

Adrian B

If you want a quiet case go with the Fractal Design Define R4 model. I'ts available through Newegg and Amazon.

The UP5-TH board is no longer available but the UP4-TH can substitute for it fairly well. Read some of the threads
on this site for more info.

See my signature for my PTHD build, it does exactly what you require.

Its pretty much silent, I have to put my ear right against the case to be able to hear the CPU fan (the only fan in the build). The PSU fan only runs under heavy load, as my build uses the integrated graphics on the CPU the PSU is complete overkill the fan has NEVER kicked in.

The ambient noise floor in my studio is higher than the computer, so for all intensive purposes is 100% silent...... The perfect DAW in my books.

If you want a quiet case go with the Fractal Design Define R4 model. I'ts available through Newegg and Amazon.

The UP5-TH board is no longer available but the UP4-TH can substitute for it fairly well. Read some of the threads
on this site for more info.

Can you verify that the Fractal Define R4 case allows for 4 of the Pro Tools HD cards with the 3 HDD cage on the bottom? Not sure if slot #7 on that case would clear the top of that triple hard drive cage. Thanks in advance!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back