Contribute
Register

Prepare for Big Sur: Update Clover/EFI from 2.4k rev 4934 to r5128 - so super unsure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H GAMING
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

So, I have decided to update my CoffeeLake build @pastrychef style here following the "Update Directly to MacOS Big Sur" guide. I immediately stumble on the EFI update as follows:
I downloaded the Clover_r5128.pkg and run the installation, and it is installed on the top level of my system drive.
1. Should I open the EFI partition with EFI mounter and drag the EFI folder from system drive to EFI partition? Should I replace or Merge the EFI folder in that case (thus keeping e.g. the drivers and Kexts)?
2. When opening the Clover Configurator I go to text mode to insert the Quirks section described here. But I am not sure where to put it as there is no current Quirks section. Can I just put it anywhere i.e. insert it between a </dict> and <key> section?
3. In the comments of Quirks section described here it is stated it is adviceable to update WhateverGreen, Lilu, VirtualSMC kexts and to install OpenRuntime.efi. Where can I find these components?

Best regards!

Hello,

So, I have decided to update my CoffeeLake build @pastrychef style here following the "Update Directly to MacOS Big Sur" guide. I immediately stumble on the EFI update as follows:
I downloaded the Clover_r5128.pkg and run the installation, and it is installed on the top level of my system drive.
1. Should I open the EFI partition with EFI mounter and drag the EFI folder from system drive to EFI partition? Should I replace or Merge the EFI folder in that case (thus keeping e.g. the drivers and Kexts)?
2. When opening the Clover Configurator I go to text mode to insert the Quirks section described here. But I am not sure where to put it as there is no current Quirks section. Can I just put it anywhere i.e. insert it between a </dict> and <key> section?
3. In the comments of Quirks section described here it is stated it is adviceable to update WhateverGreen, Lilu, VirtualSMC kexts and to install OpenRuntime.efi. Where can I find these components?

Best regards!

Just download the Clover EFI from my Z370 build and copy the Quirks.

Yes well, what could possibly go wrong...apparently everything. Struggled for the better part of this afternoon trying to follow this thread to update the Clover installation as I had an old clover installation. In addition, I also included the Quirks portion in the config.plist.

I must have made some terrible mistake. When I start the computer Clover starts with the old version (2.4 rev 4934) and there are no available hard drives to boot. So this probably means that I hacked everything wrong.

Any ideas how to go about?

Update I managed to boot from a stick with latest Clover (prepared for Big Sur install), but there seem to be some further config needed to be done in plist. I can access recovery tools but the line under the apple stops at "95%" when i try to load the regular system....
I need to access the file system so I can tweak the EFI partition...

Yes well, what could possibly go wrong...apparently everything. Struggled for the better part of this afternoon trying to follow this thread to update the Clover installation as I had an old clover installation. In addition, I also included the Quirks portion in the config.plist.

I must have made some terrible mistake. When I start the computer Clover starts with the old version (2.4 rev 4934) and there are no available hard drives to boot. So this probably means that I hacked everything wrong.

Any ideas how to go about?

Try using my EFI as-is. Only change:

Disable USB ports kext.
Enable config.plist > Kernel > Quirks > XhciPortLimit

Well, I struggled a bit, caved in and used your Z370 EFI-folder on the stick which got the computer started again. Have now fixed EFI-folder settings on the intended place (with my own SMBios-config and USB mapping). All good Ii guess, so now i'm up on 5128 with the added benefit of getting the hang of EFI folders etc. Good lesson! Guess I'm set for Big Sur then! Thanks once again @pastrychef, quite unvaluable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back