Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ELITE
CPU
i9 9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Hi guys,

so I am running my Hackintosh for 2 month now and it's working pretty good. I always had the feeling that Premiere Pro (newest version, Metal GPU acceleration turned on) did not work as good as on my Mit 2018 Macbook Pro 15'', but thought that it couldn't be true because of the superior hardware in my hackintosh. Today I was working on some basic video editing (1080p MP4s, so nothing fancy) and it was just annoying to work with my hackintosh. Playback in premiere doesn't work smoothly (not even on FULL resolution but 1/4), and I have no idea why. I just upgraded to latest kexts, but it seems like that premiere is just not utilzing my GPU. iStat Menu says max 4%GPU processing utilization, memory max. 20%. And in fact, even rendering is faster on my Macbook.

My HW: 64GB RAM, i9 9900K, Radeon VII, 1TB NVMe SSD

Do you have any idea if this is normal or is there a hidden secret? Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks for this great forum.

Did you already find a solution? Same here, Catalina on RX 5700 XT very slow rendering times.
Other GPU benchmark scores are pretty decent. But premiere is just very very slow

Nope, unfortunately not. I did turn off internal graphics in BIOS settings, but that did not help.

Hi,

having similar problem, although playback seems to be running smooth (at full resolution).
Whenever I apply any effect or during export, the GPU is not utilised. Activity report is showing only CPU activity.

I found a Kext specifically for Radeon graphics cards, that promises much higher benchmark scores:

I did not manage yet to use them + they say, that the real life performance boost is not as big as benchmark boost, but the kext is worth a try, at least until MacOs 10.16 is pusblished.

I also find this link quite interesting as it explains how Adobe Premiere is using the GPU cards.

I just tested the kext. What definetly went up is my cinebench score, from 58 000 to over 100 000 :O

Premiere pro performance seems to be better, too. I will have to check that in a real use-case, but the test project looked promising.

Will keep you updated.

@Chrimby What SMBIOS are you currently using?

What I had in use was iMac 14.1 - because my hackintosh knowledge was 0 at the beginning of this journey, I did not know that SMBIOS was important and did not touch it. Now I switched to iMac 19.1 with Clover Configurator and boom, smooth playback. Even graded 4k footage runs smoothly at full resolution. Transitions seem to lag a little bit, but I did not expect them to run smoothly (keeping in mind, that they also run in 4k @full), tbh.

So to everyone who is experience performance issues with their Hackintosh and Radeon Graphics Card and Adobe Premiere Pro or other Adobe Products: Check you SMBIOS settings and make sure that it fits to your hardware. That fixed it for me. + I updated Clover to the latest version.

I am using iMac Pro1,1. Before that I was on iMac19,1.
To be honest I didn't notice a major difference. Haven't tried the RadeonBoost kext yet.
Did you get the chance to get real use-case values with/without RadeonBoost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back