CPU
i7 8700k
Graphics
Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm about to build a new hackintosh to do much more higher end video editing, one of my new drones shoots at 5k and my old hackintosh is just not up to par (still an amazing fast box for everything else).

I was wondering those that have gone down this path what video card did you choose to get the best gpu performance since premier pro can take advantage of them.

My current build has a AMD R9 290x..

Also any suggestions/links on build outs for an editing box would be appreciated.

i guess it'll depend on which programs you'll be using mostly..

i guess it'll depend on which programs you'll be using mostly..

Well, the thread says premier pro and photoshop :) but ya video and graphic intensive

So sorry gateway.. ups.
Well - I was looking into the same problem, and it looks like Adobe products in general prefer CUDA over OpenCL - which means Nvidia over AMD. However, Adobe doesn't optimize for graphics card at all, so when working in Premiere, a GTX 1060 performed as well as a GTX 1080Ti. So it really doesn't matter. the only difference they saw is whether you had an card installed or were using internal graphics from your CPU..

Nvidia cards, right now, do not perform very well on macOS.. 10-20% lower then on the PC side, I think (talking about Pascal 10 series cards). However - that won't matter to you anyway ;)

AMD cards work better with Macs (at least the supported ones with a current OS version.. Something like the RX 470/480, 570/580), and Final Cut makes good use of them (much better support than Adobe Premiere). Then newer Vega cards are supported, but it seems like performance is still quite bad. that should change once the iMac Pro is released in December (since it will feature the workstation variant of Vega).

So.. I'd go with whatever current middle class graphics card you like better - i shouldn't make a difference at all in the Adobe CC Suite. Do some youtube searching - there are plenty of videos out there comparing.

Hope that helped!
All the best
gernot

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually nvidia performs better than AMD in Adobe, but in MacOS things are bit different as latest Nvidia relies on Web drivers whereas AMD have native support, it'll be less of a hassle if you go with an AMD for hackintosh too. Frankly, these days the performance with an nvidia and amd is very close. But for hackintosh and macos purposes, I would say go for AMD. There was a time when Adobe's Mercury playback in premiere pro and AE for just for CUDA. But nowadays they have the mercury engine optimised for OpenCL and Metal. System wide adoption for AMD is much better too as these days all Macs have AMD GPUs and Apple likes to tweak its OS down to the hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back