Motherboard
Asus P9X79pro
CPU
i7-3820
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
I had to do Time Machine restoration, and discovered that those partitions —Preboot and Recovery— do not show, thinking the the latest clover version may fix this I updated to the latest version of Clover with Emulated NVRAM, downloaded from this site (v2.4k_r4961)

Those partitions are NOT listed as hidden on config.plist

I have also discovered that although the timeout is set to 4 sec. prior booting, until I will hit “Enter” it won't boot.

Does anyone have a clue what was screwed up?

Attached is my config.plist

Your help is appreciated
Thanks

clover-boot-hidden-partitions.png

Attachments

• config-plist-current.txt
    6.2 KB · Views: 99
@Nehedar You have the custom options defined for when it scans. The option enables only `Custom Boot` entries that have been set. If an entry doesn't fit the configuration for the scan then it won't show up.

Currently, you have this set to:
Code:
<key>Scan</key>
        <dict>
            <key>Entries</key>
            <true/>
            <key>Legacy</key>
            <false/>
            <key>Linux</key>
            <false/>
            <key>Tool</key>
            <true/>
        </dict>

To set it to Auto scan; change this to:
Code:
<key>Scan</key>
        <true/>

You'll be able to continue using the `Hide Options`configuriation you are currently using, and show them on the Clover boot screen pressing F3 (if I'm remembering correctly).
Code:
<key>Hide</key>
        <array>
            <string>Windows</string>
        </array>

Thanks for replying.
The issue was fixed by the latest security update, and the config.plist still showed the custom options there were.
There is still something not quite right: on every boot the selector goes to the first option (preboot preloader) instead of being on the recorded boot volume (Sierra-SIS) (my drive name), and even though timeout is set to 4 sec., stays waiting for ever. I mean I have to manually change to the proper volume with the arrow keys and hit enter.

Code:
<key>Boot</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Arguments</key>
        <string>-v dart=0 darkwake=2 npci=0x2000</string>
        <key>CustomLogo</key>
        <string>Apple</string>
        <key>DefaultVolume</key>
        <string>Sierra-SIS</string>
        <key>HibernationFixup</key>
        <true/>
        <key>Legacy</key>
        <string>PBR</string>
        <key>Timeout</key>
        <integer>4</integer>
        <key>XMPDetection</key>
        <false/>
    </dict>

The issue was fixed by the latest security update, and the config.plist still showed the custom options there were. There is still something not quite right...

I agree with you. I don't see how a Security Update would fix the bootloader's ability to see volumes and logical drives. The two systems (Bootloader (which is a pre-boot system, which would be Clover) and the macOS) have nothing to do with each other. Perhaps you mean a Clover update or a Driver update, but a macOS Security Update has nothing to do Clover reading and working with your volumes and logical drives.

All the issues you're talking about can be addressed on your config.plist; however, I would make sure that you have the proper drivers/kexts installed and I would double-check what you're currently working with. You don't want to make any more difficult on yourself than it already is.

If you do have everything installed correctly, it may have something to do with how you formatted the logical drives (i.e. MBR vs GPT). That would be the next place I would look.

If everything checks out, you can look to debug your configuration with a tool called Hackintool which is available here on TonyMac: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/release-hackintool-v2-7-0.254559/

However, I have to reiterate to you, if you don't have the proper installation of drivers and kexts; and a semi-well put together config.plist then it's gonna turn into a headache.

If you're not too sure about your config.plist, you can try using clover-genconfig to generate a new (most of the time semi-)complete config.plist that is usually at least 90% correct.

Last edited:
Thank you again for your help. I just read a little about the hackingtool, but I am not ready to try it, and it looks risky if I am not mistaken. I may try the Clover-Genconfig.
Diskutil list
Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 12.15.34.png

On my EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI folder, these are the present drivers:
ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi
AppleImageCodec-64.efi
AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi
AppleUITheme-64.efi
AptioMemoryFix-64.efi
AudioDxe-64.efi
DataHubDxe-64.efi
EmuVariableUefi-64.efi
FirmwareVolume-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi
PartitionDxe-64.efi
SMCHelper-64.efi
VBoxHfs-64.efi

On my EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder: FakeSMC.kext

the other 10.xx folders are empty.

On my Sierra-SIS/Library/Extensions
Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 12.17.30.png

I hope all this will give enough info to find what is not right.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 11.56.44.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 11.56.44.png
    156.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 11.57.14.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 11.57.14.png
    152.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 11.57.30.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-24 at 11.57.30.png
    151.6 KB · Views: 68
I have never used clover-genconfig before.
So I went to /usr/local/bin and double clicked on that file
and the attached is what I got from terminal. It's a much larger file than the config.plist currently installed and using.

Attachments

• Generada-por-Clover-config.txt
    14.7 KB · Views: 120
  • config copy.txt
    6 KB · Views: 91
I just read a little about the hackingtool, but I am not ready to try it, and it looks risky if I am not mistaken.

It can be, especially if you're not too sure about your setup.

I don't see anything wrong per-say yet, but you shouldn't have AptioMemoryFix-64.efi installed at the same time as OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi and EmuVariableUefi-64.efi. If I remember correctly, OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi was replaced by Clover with AptioMemoryFix-64.efi, but they are not the same thing. EmuVariableUefi-64.efi deals with boards that don't have native NVRAM. AptioInputFix usally should also be installed with AptioMemoryFix-64.efi if that's the route that's best for you. AptioMemoryFix-64.efi does what EmuVariableUefi-64.efi is supposed to do.

More info: https://github.com/acidanthera/AptioFixPkg
Downloads: https://github.com/acidanthera/AptioFixPkg/releases

If you want to test if you have NVRAM working, you can do the following in Terminal:

Bash:
sudo -s
nvram -c
nvram myvar=test

Reboot your computer, then run the following in Terminal:

Bash:
nvram -p | grep -i myvar

If you get any output, then your NVRAM is currently working. If you get nothing, then NVRAM isn't working.

Last edited:
I have never used clover-genconfig before.
So I went to /usr/local/bin and double clicked on that file
and the attached is what I got from terminal. It's a much larger file than the config.plist currently installed and using.

It doesn't look bad to me. I don't know if that iMac model though support dual-graphics. You have to choose a model that supports dual-graphics. I'd clean up your driver problem first though, but messing with the config.plist. Hackintool can help you with that later.

My best advice to start debugging this (if you don't know where to start)...

1. Boot into your current macOS installation
  2. Mount EFI
  3. Back up EFI folder into your Install USB (so you can boot back up into your installation if you mess up)
  4. Download the latest RELEASE drivers from: https://github.com/acidanthera/AptioFixPkg/releases
  5. Delete AptioMemoryFix-64.efi, EmuVariableUefi-64.efi, and OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi from EFI
  6. Insert new drivers (should be AptioMemoryFix and AptioInputFix) from GitHub download to EFI
  7. Reboot
  8. Test NVRAM
If that doesn't work, then I'd move on to testing some of the other fixes, in a similar fashion.

If you reboot on Step 7 and you can NOT boot into your installation, then insert the USB and boot off the USB (you know, select it from your boot menu); and instead of selecting the install, just select the already installed instance.

Thank you. I made those changes on the drivers folder, and booted fine with the new config.plist (14kb)(only edited few things such removing the # character before some key names. Tested the Nvram and works.
What about the file on Efi/nvram.plist ?
Does it update every time I reboot ?
If I deleted, will the system create a new one ?
I am still getting this when Clover loads:
screenshot0.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back