Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP EliteDesk 800 G4
CPU
Intel 3.2gh i7
Graphics
UHD 630
I need a replacement for my 2 year old (16gb) mac mini which is really struggling to cope with the demands I put it under.

The replacement machine doesn't have to be a small case, but I would like something that's quiet running.

I don't have the time to put together a bundle of components and it's 10 years since I built a desktop machine, totally out of touch with current technologies, I just want a modern machine that is capable of runnig El-Capitan or Sierra.

I'd be quite happy to fit wi-fi cards, sound card etc and I don't need fantastic graphics, just a quick machine with plenty of ram (don't mind fitting this) and the ability to have an ssd installed in which to boot from.

Does anyone know of a "base" machine that I could add parts to that might be suitable ?

Many thanks in advance for any advice/help offerred.

There are many of these for sale on Amazon UK and Ebay UK sites. The core I5 versions work when you add a discrete graphics card. Just needs to be low profile. Even a GT 710 for 40 pounds or less will work with Sierra.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=hp+ellite+8300+&tag=tonymacx86-21

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=elite 8300 I5 sff&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Here's a similar Dell desktop with the Core I7-3770:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OC4H2BA/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Last edited:
In my country (NL) there a quite a few shops (both physical and online) that create a working machine for you if you order and specify the parts needed. Maybe that is an option..

edit: i know these guys do it: https://www.alternate.co.uk/
use the PC configutor to make something that can be used as a hackintosh and they will build it for you..

Thank you Yoyellow and trs96 for your replies, very helpful.

I decided to have a look at some systems advertised on ebay as Hackintoshes, I was ten miles from their location yesterday and phoned up with the intention of visiting, discussing my requirements and ordering a system.

After a two minute phone call, I was back to square one, they answered the phone with "hello" (not the company name as you'd expect), and said I wasn't able to visit, I got the impression it was some guy building machines from home in his spare time, so anyone else considering this route, you may want to check them out first.

trs96, thank you for those links, but I'm worried they are not powerful enough being older machines, I'm hoping to find a powerful modern machine from pcworld or such like that I can fit sound, wi-fi, graphics cards into and have a fully functioning machine.

I'd like something much faster than the current top of the range macs and have the option of fitting 64gb of ram.

My mac mini really struggles with what I throw at it (multiple web pages, postbox, dreamweaver, contacts and a virtual machine running owncloud etc), I use this machine for my business.

Do you know of anything ?

Yoyellow, thank you, a great idea, I'm going to speak to them today if I can to see if they can advise.

If anyone else has experience/advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you Yoyellow and trs96 for your replies, very helpful.

I decided to have a look at some systems advertised on ebay as Hackintoshes, I was ten miles from their location yesterday and phoned up with the intention of visiting, discussing my requirements and ordering a system.

After a two minute phone call, I was back to square one, they answered the phone with "hello" (not the company name as you'd expect), and said I wasn't able to visit, I got the impression it was some guy building machines from home in his spare time.
It's a very bad idea to take this approach. You'll be paying much more for something you can do yourself. You don't have any idea what the PC building skills of the said person are. It is illegal to be selling a PC with OS X pre-installed anyway. Don't support someone that is breaking the law.

trs96, thank you for those links, but I'm worried they are not powerful enough being older machines, I'm hoping to find a powerful modern machine from pcworld or such like that I can fit sound, wi-fi, graphics cards into and have a fully functioning machine. I'd like something much faster than the current top of the range macs and have the option of fitting 64gb of ram.
If you want the most powerful current hardware then a pre-built HP, Dell, Acer or Lenovo system is not an option that will work. Many of these will use H110m motherboards limited to 16 or possibly 32GB of ram. The BIOS may be problematic with macOS, etc.
Follow Yoyellow's advice stated above and have a Pro PC builder custom build one for you. That way you'll be able to get a fully working system because you did the research and picked all compatible parts for your build. Start with a Gigabyte or Asus Z170 motherboard paired with an I7-6700K. From there, go with exactly what you need for ram, graphics and storage. It's not at all difficult with so many good options available to choose from. One of these builds will absolutely destroy the performance of your current Mac Mini. A good long term investment because it will be relevant for a long time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back