i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have been a long time mac user and I'm still running my early 2009 MacPro on El Capitan. I have been holding out for a suitable scale-able replacement from Apple but I am just tired now and think I'm going hackintosh route. The costs have gotten out of hand in my opinion too.

I have always migrated parts (hard drives mostly) from one machine to the next. I do have couple of questions before I start a build and post a confirmation of suitable parts.

Are Hackintoshes able to use Timemachine for backups? I haven't found any articles or questions really that answer this.

If Timemachine is available can I migrate my user accounts and data using it? I currently backup all my stuff to a Drobo unit.

Are there any issues with using a Drobo with a Hackintosh?

I have a lot of USB devices (Contour Shuttle Pro, Wacom Tablet, Drobo units, etc.) I have currently two PCI cards in my MacPro to handle this stuff. One is a four port USB2 and the other a four port USB3. These things couldn't be put into a Hackintosh could they or would I have to get new cards?

Motherboards are my next big set of questions but I hope to address these concerns first.

Thanks for any help.

I back up my hack with time machine, have since 2016 when I built it using a WD USB3 drive.
Don't have Drobo, but most all external drives work.
If your MB you choose has pci slots your cards will most likely work in the hack also.

Thanks for the info dfritchie. I really appreciate it.

I'm looking at getting the GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard and putting a Core i7-9700K 3.6Ghz into it. Sure I would like to go i9 but I can save some money and anything newer would be much better than I have today.

The forums here have been great in reading up on the Designare but I have some confusion that maybe should be addressed under that discussion. Most of the builds discussed state that the WiFi/Blutooth of the board will not work so a PCI card with an adapter is needed. This seems a bit more solid than the advise in this youtube video
I'm trying to get clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back