1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Today in about a hour I get to rummage through a Closet with PowerPC gear in it with the understanding that I can keep whatever I want. :)

I'm so excited because I think there is a possibility that they have PowerMac G4 and G5 systems sitting there. Words can not describe how awesome today is going to be! I'll post here again once I have had a chance to go through the closet and see what Mac gear is there.

Looking forward to reading your report when you come out of the closet later.

Unfourtunatly there was actually only one machine in there so I don't have the option of mixing and matching. However I did get a G4 with a 800MHz processor. Pictures to come.

Here are some photos of it.

4C1D6F10-0B6D-43BD-90DC-6A4FAF486479_zpstzwte8zv.jpg

F0C1D032-3EE3-42DD-8CCA-DD45964297DC_zpspn3gbbvp.jpg

DE134DFC-914A-41BC-893C-24B4965B66E0_zps3gtjdvv0.jpg

0E0A3027-8183-4479-B87C-E4C174ED433E_zps2mrfnoje.jpg

1DDE218B-3E99-4EF7-BFD9-E4FE463DBB29_zpsdkfvxmqv.jpg

However I'm currently stuck with it. It goes from the Apple logo on the boot screen to a solid blue screen on the VGA port. I'm thinking the computer is set to a extended display mode and not mirroring. Which means the primary display is most likely the Apple specific port. I'm going to need a AGP card to put into it in order to test it further. Maybe also grab another IDE drive if I can find one on eBay.

I have confirmed that the machine has an additional graphics card installed on the PCI lot directly under the AGP slot. It also has a Zip drive installed, 1.5GB RAM and a 40GB drive. The case has some scuffs and small cracks on the door. Nothing too major. It's a real looker.

One question I have is once I have the heat sink removed will I find a second socket for another G4 processor?

Edit:

I tried running the machine again and this time I was able to boot into the machine. I confirmed that the machine has no password on it. I am at this moment extremely happy. :D

I'm going to research what upgrades I can do to this machine. I would like to increase the drive space, bump up the graphics and upgrade to Dual 1GHz processors or the max that this board supports.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back