Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all

I have a Quicksilver G4. It's gutted and most of the parts are bought and ready to go in.

What genuinely is the best way to remove the standoffs?

This is my second Quicksilver build. In the first case, I drilled them out but made a bit of a mess. Some people have said you can pull them out with Locking Pliers. Is that true? Or tap them out?

I'd like to make a collective definitive answer for future modders.

What did you do?

I've decided it's best to simply get some pliers, clamp on real tight and angle it out.

Use different angles to avoid bending the chassis and they just pop out!

Simple. No need to saw, drill, or tap out.

Is that really a good idea? What if you don't shorten them enough, and they make contact with your MOBO shorting it out?

I decided in the end that pulling them out was best. You're right, it did leave holes. But so what? You can't see them for the plastic casing on the outside. The case is bent very very slightly now, but the door shuts and the locking mechanism still works.

I still vote for pulling them out as the best method.

I used a pair of pliers and wiggled them until they popped out on my graphite G4

Is that really a good idea? What if you don't shorten them enough, and they make contact with your MOBO shorting it out?

I decided in the end that pulling them out was best. You're right, it did leave holes. But so what? You can't see them for the plastic casing on the outside. The case is bent very very slightly now, but the door shuts and the locking mechanism still works.

I still vote for pulling them out as the best method.

regular standoff is 6mm, and your mobo has no contact to the back plate right? on mac case it's 10mm, so as long as you leave less than 4mm, you are fine.

using pliiers is the easiest route, if you want to be careful grinding them down or using a cutting wheel works too. i chose pliers method for my build, you cant see those holes anyways when the mobo is installed.

Found in my opinion the perfect standoffs and I thought I'd post here out of interest.

For people who don't want to drill and use JB Weld:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...tandoffs+-male+brass+spacer&tag=tonymacx86-21

For people who prefer to drill in their spacers:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...oard+standoffs+brass+spacer&tag=tonymacx86-21

The thing about these searches is you can look for your specified height of spacer. I'm not sure yet, but I think I need 12mm spacers to make the motherboard tall enough so the back panel is accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back