Contribute
Register

PowerMac G5 - The Somewhat Better Budget Kludge

Status
Not open for further replies.
More updates! Well, minor really.

I finally ditched my nVidia GPU. I wished I had done this sooner honestly.

I got a fairly good deal on a RX 570. While it is used, I couldn't help myself with the price it was listed at. $80 and free shipping. Plus, I got it in like four days. And it works like a charm! Much less painful installation of drivers than my 1050ti that's for sure (in Windows at least). And in Mac OS it was recognized without any other things I had to do,

Plus, it's a faster GPU anyways. Not a whole lot, but I paid much less for this than my 1050ti, get better performance, and so far it's been zero headaches getting this to work. Also, I finally got my Hack to run Mojave, and besides the woe-full boot times, everything works as it should with barely any fuss. The installation took some time, but it was a cakewalk in comparison to trying to get High Sierra to run happily on my machine. Drivers installation went better, things just work now...etc. I'm gonna hold-off on updating to Catalina for now, maybe wait for a bit until I get everything settled in.

So long Nvidia. Don't really miss you at all.

fullsizeoutput_112.jpeg

The one thing I don't like however is the plastic airflow shield no longer fits on my computer, since it hits the aux power plug for the Radeon card, which is a bummer. Oh well. small price to pay for improvements I guess.

Awesome Hackintosh @Th3iPodM0N!. Thanks for sharing your work, really well done. It's good inspiration for my next G5 project, I see you cut a shape out of the middle shelf below the graphics card. Are you able to support the shelf still?, I ask because there are two holes on the rear of the middle shelf that I assume attached somewhere. I guess there not necessarily needed!.

Awesome Hackintosh @Th3iPodM0N!. Thanks for sharing your work, really well done. It's good inspiration for my next G5 project, I see you cut a shape out of the middle shelf below the graphics card. Are you able to support the shelf still?, I ask because there are two holes on the rear of the middle shelf that I assume attached somewhere. I guess there not necessarily needed!.
Yep, the shelf is still supported. I have it attached at the front of the case with the stock mounting point. It has it's own standoff right above where the stock airport card would be. Then I also have the little GPU bracket thingy that holds up the shelf as well. The little plastic bracket attaches to some standoffs and slides into the shelf. At that back of the case it attaches to the G5 shield thing with a leftover fan screw. It's actually pretty solid once everything is all attached.

Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 9.47.14 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back