Contribute
Register

Powermac g5 power connector question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry if this is posted somewhere but I can't seem to find any info on making a sort of pigtail for the g5 power connector to a regular power supply plug. This is what I've concluded . If it's anything like a extension cord then this wiring makes sense right?( Pictures attached) please any input at all?
IMG_20170214_181853.jpg
IMG_20170214_181853.jpg
IMG_20170214_181911.jpg

I did the same when I made my G5 mod by using an old cable and socket from an electronic store, works perfectly fine.

Please be sure to solder the wires correctly and isolate them afterwards, you don't want to have the line voltage connected to your G5 case...

I did the same when I made my G5 mod by using an old cable and socket from an electronic store, works perfectly fine.

Please be sure to solder the wires correctly and isolate them afterwards, you don't want to have the line voltage connected to your G5 case...

What I was asking should of been more clear. Are the wires correctly running to the right prongs? Cause it had different colors on the Apple end that I pulled compared to the cut cord I used

Here's the standards on that type of connector: http://www.stayonline.com/reference-iec320.aspx

You're looking at the C13/14 type; the old PowerMac connector would be the C14 since it's the male end.

iec320_c13-14.gif

If I'm looking at your picture correctly, your ground is on the bottom in the center (which you already knew) and the Neutral (generally white) should be on the left as you have it.

As far as I can tell, you should be good!

Thankyou . Didn't want to plug the pigtail I made in and have my new build blow up ha. It was confusing cause it had international wiring. And I know nothing about that type of electrical work.

Looks good to me. As long as the Green goes to the ground, you're good to go without any explosions.

AC plug wiring is exactly the same for EU, just the color identifying the wires are different. The Green/Yellow wire always goes to ground, with the Blue wire on the left and Brown on the right. Easy way to remember is GR in Green is for Ground, the BL in Blue is for Bottom Left and the BR in Red/Brown is for Bottom Right :)

LOL............It doesn't matter which way (Except Green)

Just like a lamp, TV or toaster can be plugged in either way so can a computer

Good Luck

Lol I'm just making sure. Cause I'm gonna put alot into this money wise and I do the want to plug it in and just have my power supply fry ha. Thanks for all the help. 110v wiring was never a strong skill I had . I'm better with DC systems than ac components hah

This is exactly what I did in my build as well, except in mine I overheated the pins so I had to reset them while the plastic was soft. I also filled in and around the backside of the connector with hot glue so that there was no chance of a short occurring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back