Contribute
Register

PowerMac G5 PC Case Mod...yet again :) (build log)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
I still didn't read
CPU
the RULES
Graphics
so ignore me
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. SE/30
02/03/2020

Introduction:

I will start by saying admitting I have done a G5 conversion before, about 8 years ago, I was generally unimpressed with the result and it didn't become a permanent feature of my desk as it represented to many shortcuts and quite a bit of impatience on my part. Here is the offending article, these pictures now make me recoil xD...still, you live you learn huh?

EkGZwEx.jpgbGk4UVM.jpg

However, I am now eight years wiser and much more knowledgeable where the likes of 3D printing and light CAD are concerned (my main hobbies).
I use to work in an electronics recycler and I still have a very good relationship with management there which is extremely useful for projects like this, I was down there the other day having a rummage around the PCI and motherboard bins when I spotted it, a G5 PowerMac modestly standing proud like a beacon amongst a backdrop of battered, beige, 2004 Packard-bell desktops. It was at that moment I knew what I had to do, and needless to say, when I got back home I dragged the G5 I had stashed away in the cupboard out of the abyss of old amazon boxes, gave it a good dusting and sat it pride of place on my project table.

Project goals:

1: Design:
- I would ideally like to keep the same "design language" (hate that saying) that was used on the original G5 or any other modern(ish) (post-2000) Mac, keeping the same sort of theme but with variation will be difficult going forward but I think it will lead to a much better result, I would ideally also like to adopt some of Apple's more modern color themes such a space grey, etc.
2: Making it:
- I would like to make heavy use of my 3D Printers for this project, I think it's well-suited to this task as it can produce components I could never dream of making 8 years ago, and to a high quality fit and finish. The only two colors I am interested in printing with at the moment are Grey and White. Yellow is reserved for the prototyping, as I hate it, and have many reels of it leftover from another project.

3: Materials:
- I would like to use as much original Apple hardware as I can with the modification of this case, I have access to old battered MacPro's that I can scavenge for parts such as fan guards, screws, cables, fixtures, and Harddrive sleds/caddies (I plan on transplanting the MacPro 1,1's hard drive caddy shelf into the top space of the G5) I am also going to do the G5 PSU mod via gutting the original PSU out and transplanting the innards from a Corsair 600W PSU into it, this is going to mean I am also going to have to be very vigilant where earthing and airflow are concerned. But this is something I have done before and surprisingly got right with my last G5 mod.

Initial Designs:

With calipers and coffee in hand, I have decided to start on the 3D Printable water-cooling cooling system and back IO access panel, keeping what I have said above in mind I set out to design a suitable replacement for the G5 cooling system, this is my attempt, and keep in mind it's a work in progress so don't be too judgmental.

eight23456.pngtwo.png

I didn't like the original fan holes on the back so I have replaced them with this all-in-one air vent and IO assembly in its place, I had the idea for this after looking at my PowerMac g4 cube and noticing the air vent at the top :)

eight2345.pngeight.png

Behind those two gray MacPro Delta fans is a 240mm radiator (not shown below) encased in a 3D Printed sleeve that will act as a mount, clipping onto the front of the case, on the opposite side of the fans is a clip-and-lock system similar to the original used on the G5s rear fan, for attaching air baffling / guides to the PCI slots and rear air vent (this hasn't been designed yet due to complexity of making curved square air ducting) :/

seven.pngeight234.png

I am not worrying about motherboard IO shields (and I don't even want one) my rear plate will have a section that extends to the IO ports in the case and it will have a cable guide/slot cover on it, these work as both finger holes for removing the cover and also cable tidy holes.
Here are some renders of the parts I have designed so far for it.

five.pngdefault1245.png

And the PowerMac G4 Cube top air vent for reference:

Power_mac_g4_cube.png

04/03/2020 Update:
I have been heavily focused on the cooling system and rear IO panel section as it's/will be the main focal point of this system (as it was with the original G5)...I have also spent a good while calibrating and getting my 3D printer up to standard for the torturous test ahead of it.
Here is my progress where the cooling system is concerned, it's still not a finished design but it's a lot closer to being done and it will heavily resemble the final thing.

four.jpgfrontview.jpgtwo.jpgUntitledg523thr.jpgtop view.jpgfinalrear.jpg

I have also managed to print of a prototype part for checking the fit with the delta fans, and it fits well :) I am taking notes constantly when I am thinking of new ideas, etc so it's really very useful to have something you can hold and play around with instead on imagining. (sounds so wrong)

IMG_20170103_041344.jpgIMG_20170103_091423.jpgIMG_20170103_091438.jpg

Attachments

• default1.png
    default1.png
    429 KB · Views: 206
  • six.png
    six.png
    504.3 KB · Views: 255
  • one.jpg
    one.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 189
  • three.jpg
    three.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Sounds very exciting!, especially because you clearly have the skills and tools to pull off something really unique. The idea of mixing the "design language", (If I find a better word I'll let you know) of a G5 and a cube sounds brilliant to me. I'll be watching this thread with anticipation, post plenty of pictures. :thumbup:

04/03/2020 Update:
I have been heavily focused on the cooling system and rear IO panel section as it's/will be the main focal point of this system (as it was with the original G5)...I have also spent a good while calibrating and getting my 3D printer up to standard for the torturous test ahead of it.
Here is my progress where the cooling system is concerned, it's still not a finished design but it's a lot closer to being done and it will heavily resemble the final thing.

four.jpgtwo.jpgUntitledg523thr.jpgone.jpg
frontview.jpgtop view.jpg

I have also managed to print of a prototype part for checking the fit with the delta fans, and it fits well :) I am taking notes constantly when I am thinking of new ideas, etc so it's really very useful to have something you can hold and play around with instead on imagining. (sounds so wrong)

IMG_20170103_041344.jpgIMG_20170103_091423.jpgIMG_20170103_091438.jpg

Attachments

• three.jpg
    three.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 126
  • Untitledg523.jpg
    Untitledg523.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 98
Sounds very exciting!, especially because you clearly have the skills and tools to pull off something really unique. The idea of mixing the "design language", (If I find a better word I'll let you know) of a G5 and a cube sounds brilliant to me. I'll be watching this thread with anticipation, post plenty of pictures. :thumbup:

Hey, I have just seen you have done a G5 yourself :) I was reading through your post on it, it's a very clean build :) well done. I have to agree with what is being said on your post about LTT's case mod, it's absolutely awful :/ one thing I have noticed about people that mod these G5's is they always keep the "spirit" of the machine alive if you get me? whereas they just completely ignored it and made something that's not quite PC not quite a mac, a weird in-between that I really don't like at all.

Hey, I have just seen you have done a G5 yourself :) I was reading through your post on it, it's a very clean build :) well done.

Thanks!. Just waiting for the replacement PSU to arrive then I can fit the Bottom enclosure and shelf. I have enjoyed this build and the surprise 250W Dell PSU that's kept powered on by a pen!. It's fast, there are no SATA drives and everything is powered on the board, no messy cables to get in the way. I wanted a stock look G5, without cutting the back.

I have to agree with what is being said on your post about LTT's case mod, it's absolutely awful :/ one thing I have noticed about people that mod these G5's is they always keep the "spirit" of the machine alive if you get me? whereas they just completely ignored it and made something that's not quite PC not quite a mac, a weird in-between that I really don't like at all.

I get you!, it’s something I’ve thought about a lot, preserving the spirit. G5’s are an icon, I think. At their time of release they were the fastest thing out there. These cases deserve respect and I think many G5 modders take that into consideration when planning there builds. In a sense I’ve tried to peel away, in English, remove the extra clutter that I didn’t need. And show off more of the case in its cleanest form. But the LTT mod, like you say, didn't really respect their G5 and lost the spirit of it in the process. Shame.

How long does it take to 3D print the fan guard?.

Update: 18/03/2020

Due to the ongoing situation with the virus my university has closed, this has left me with a bit of spare time so I thought I would crack on with this project, here is what I have managed so far, I transplanted the HDD Caddy system from my MacPro 1,1 into the top space of the G5, I am extremely happy with the result as it looks great :D
This is very useful for me as I have two sets of RAID 1 disks for App Data and backups, now I need to figure out the pinout and splice new SATA cables to the existing ones or I need to find a Mini-SAS to SATA adaptor, I think it will have to be the former.
IMG_20170118_003329.jpg
(Above) The "donor" MacPro - the HDD shelf.
(Bellow) The G5 with its new HDD shelf and air baffle in place :)

IMG_20170118_003345.jpgIMG_20170118_003444.jpgIMG_20170118_003408.jpgIMG_20170118_003420.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170118_003354.jpg
    IMG_20170118_003354.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 133
Update: 18/03/2020

Due to the ongoing situation with the virus my university has closed, this has left me with a bit of spare time so I thought I would crack on with this project, here is what I have managed so far, I transplanted the HDD Caddy system from my MacPro 1,1 into the top space of the G5, I am extremely happy with the result as it looks great :D
This is very useful for me as I have two sets of RAID 1 disks for App Data and backups, now I need to figure out the pinout and splice new SATA cables to the existing ones or I need to find a Mini-SAS to SATA adaptor, I think it will have to be the former.
View attachment 455265
(Above) The "donor" MacPro - the HDD shelf.
(Bellow) The G5 with its new HDD shelf and air baffle in place :)

View attachment 455266

That looks really good and a great idea!. Filling up that top space with the hard drive caddy from the Mac Pro is the perfect solution for you and the fit is perfect. Whats going to happen with the "donor" Mac Pro?.

That looks really good and a great idea!. Filling up that top space with the hard drive caddy from the Mac Pro is the perfect solution for you and the fit is perfect. Whats going to happen with the "donor" Mac Pro?.

Ah, thanks! :D...it's the wiring I'm not looking forward to :( I picked up an LSI SAS card that has the right connector but even then the MiniSAS connector on the back of the shelf doesn't stretch...so splicing on some donor cables it is then.

That MacPro is used for testing and making MacPro1,1/2,1 upgrade kits that I sell on eBay, and thankfully it has two internal SATA connectors that have cables running to the DVD area along with some Molex to SATA adapters (all the crap that's hanging over the edge) so it still works great.

Pretty good work, pretty skilled jobs. Maybe works effective too. But aesthetics? I am not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back