1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I have got a 20" (I think) Apple Display from 2003 :D, and it has a ADC connector. I own a 2012 Macbook Pro which only has a thunderbolt:(, so I was looking on eBay and found ADC to DVI adapters, then DVI to HDMI or Thunderbolt, but they are quite expensive. So I was wondering what if I buy a PowerMac G5 (because it has an ADC port, and almost is the same price as an adapter), and upgrade that to something like an Intel Quad Core i7 with 4 or 8 GB of RAM with 256GB of SSD blah blah blah... I was wondering if I could "upgrade" the system to high specs BUT keep the ADC port on the back of the machine, so that it would work with the display. I was looking at Quicksilver PowerMac G4's but I just don't really like the design of those.

Thank you, Alex.

Hi all,

I have got a 20" (I think) Apple Display from 2003 :D, and it has a ADC connector. I own a 2012 Macbook Pro which only has a thunderbolt:(, so I was looking on eBay and found ADC to DVI adapters, then DVI to HDMI or Thunderbolt, but they are quite expensive. So I was wondering what if I buy a PowerMac G5 (because it has an ADC port, and almost is the same price as an adapter), and upgrade that to something like an Intel Quad Core i7 with 4 or 8 GB of RAM with 256GB of SSD blah blah blah... I was wondering if I could "upgrade" the system to high specs BUT keep the ADC port on the back of the machine, so that it would work with the display. I was looking at Quicksilver PowerMac G4's but I just don't really like the design of those.

Thank you, Alex.

My advice is to forget this idea and just invest in a new monitor. You're going to spend a LOT more than the new monitor would cost in trying to get that ADC monitor working with any modern graphics card -- IF it's possible at all! Besides, your Apple Display from 2003 is, well, over 10 years old - how much longer do you think it will last? And before you think of it... no, you can't just track down an old graphics card with an ADC port. If you can still get one, it will probably be PCI-X or AGP, neither of which has existed on any motherboard made since about 2006.

Here are a couple of articles on ADC if you're interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Display_Connector
http://lowendmac.com/video/ports/apple-display-connector.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back