Contribute
Register

Powermac G5 Customization Questions and Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z9PE-D8 WS
CPU
2x Xeon 2680
Graphics
EVGA 680 FTW+ 4GB & 2GB R6870
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Build guide is located in the User Builds forum section:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...-gigabyte-ga-z68a-d3h-b3-intel-hd-3000-a.html
Please feel free to ask any questions!Below is a picture guide to how I modded my G5!

IMG_1134.jpg
Power Cord hole cover (BC I mounted the Power Supply in the front of the case)

IMG_1135.jpg
An enamel based paint that I "buffed" the plexiglass with

IMG_1136.jpg
Finished product came out looking like a decent piece of brushed Al which is great for 2 min of work!

IMG_1137.JPG

Fitting in the back... Since this is not even going to be seen as it will sit in the corner of my media room it
doesn't really matter... but it is a nice touch!

IMG_1138.jpg
Another shot of the back with the cover.

IMG_1139.jpg
Prepped the exhaust fans by sanding.

IMG_1140.jpg
Painted with same paint. Once again in the back and not seen, but still important

IMG_1143.jpg
Prepping the cutting area.

IMG_1145.jpg
Traced the Mountain Mods Aluminum IO onto the back.

IMG_1149.jpg
First cut... (Rasp seen in the picture on the right, used to smooth out the edges)

IMG_1150.jpg
First test fit!

IMG_1151.jpg
Cut out the lever for the side panel.

IMG_1152.jpg
Test fit for lever. Used the rasp ALOT to get this right, as it will be in contact with hands the most, no need to get slices by aluminum =/)

IMG_1156.JPG
Inside with the Motherboard tray test fit.

IMG_1158.jpg
Back with screws all in place. Kept the original ones that same with the tray as they wont be seen anyway, and I didn't want to go to the store. (Already waited a week for the part to come!)

IMG_1159.jpg
REAR IO FITS GREAT!!!!

IMG_1160.JPG
Everything in the case, with the SSD chill in in the middle hanging by the power cord... only effective way for it to be, and its secure enough that it won't cause any problems.

Hey, I like your post but I need some help. I'm using the Mountain Mods motherboard tray myself and I want to know before I cut the back panel, how did you secure the back of the tray to the back of the PowerMac? also how did you make the back of the motherboard tray secure with the back of the case? Please reply!

Thanks.

turns out the air holes in the powermac are just the right size and place for the screws in most cases, so i just used those, it is secure, and for the holes that wernt in the right place, I just drilled a hole the correct size to match the screw, not including the threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back