Contribute
Register
Status
Not open for further replies.
More Progress!

So I finally had a chance to transfer over my current components from my original case to check/plan out the layout for the G5 case. I very quickly realized that I wasn't going to be able to use the original back panel and needed to use the Laser Hive Full ATX back plate for my build and needs!

0L8A0424-Edit.jpg

So pretty straight forward use the panel to mark out what I needed to remove with the dremel.

0L8A0425.jpg

0L8A0427.jpg

0L8A0426.jpg

Just and FYI for anyone attempting to do this be sure to cutout ONLY what needs to be removed and TAKE YOUR TIME. I am sure that is common sense lol, but you can very easily go too far and remove too much.

0L8A0431-Edit.jpg

Used the dremel with the cut-off wheel and then 60/120 grit sand paper to smooth out the cuts and trim edges for a perfect cutout.

0L8A0435.jpg

Gotta say it looks pretty sharp with the panel and also the allen screws provided with the kit!

0L8A0436.jpg

0L8A0437.jpg

0L8A0440.jpg

Also when putting in the screws make sure to attach the IO Shield and PCI bay first because they attach through the back plate with pre-tapped holes which hold both together.

I then decided to install my 2 SSD's that install behind the motherboard.

Here are the exact models I am using for my MAC OSX & WINDOWS Boot Drives:

Samsung 860 QVO 1TB SATA 2.5" Internal SSD (MZ-76Q1T0/AM) - https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07L3D19MY/?tag=tonymacx86c0c-20

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SATA 2.5" Internal SSD (MZ-76E500/AM) - https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0781Z7Y3S/?tag=tonymacx86c0c-20

I will be updating my rig with an NVME M.2 drive soon! Waiting for the right deal to come around and then I will switch my Windows boot drive with my 1TB SSD.

0L8A0442.jpg

0L8A0443.jpg

This is where I will be ending off this update! I did test fit the motherboard again, but I am still waiting for some PSU Power extensions and other things. Here are the motherboard standoffs that come supplied in the kit. I believed some people were asking about the clearance underneath the board for cable management and there is plenty with the 13mm risers.

0L8A0444.jpg

Will be updating this build more soon! Stay Tune! :thumbup:

Awesome detailed photographs!, is your build a photo editing beast?. I wonder why the black plate doesn't have holes drilled into it to match the case?. What are your plans for cooling?, G5's are notorious for getting hot around the back of the PCI slots. Even in my budget build with an RX 560, Fenvi FV-T919 and a USB 3 expansion port, It gets hot!. I'm guessing the fan on the PSU will point onto the expansion cards, you also have the frame that holds the fans at the front. I'm on my 3rd graphics card in the space of 9 months using the G5 case, Just be aware of that!.
I like that the SSDs are under the mobo , I've owned both my 850 EVOs for over three years and used them in different builds, reliable and fast!. Good stuff, looking forward to seeing more photos in your next update.

Hey,
That looks awesome. I also have a G5 and I think I want to the same way.
Do you have a full parts list?

Awesome detailed photographs!, is your build a photo editing beast?. I wonder why the black plate doesn't have holes drilled into it to match the case?. What are your plans for cooling?, G5's are notorious for getting hot around the back of the PCI slots. Even in my budget build with an RX 560, Fenvi FV-T919 and a USB 3 expansion port, It gets hot!. I'm guessing the fan on the PSU will point onto the expansion cards, you also have the frame that holds the fans at the front. I'm on my 3rd graphics card in the space of 9 months using the G5 case, Just be aware of that!.
I like that the SSDs are under the mobo , I've owned both my 850 EVOs for over three years and used them in different builds, reliable and fast!. Good stuff, looking forward to seeing more photos in your next update.
Thanks!

Its for photo/video and gaming! It does have holes matching the case, its just that when you make it a Full-ATX like in my case with the PSU up top you need to cut out the back to allow room for the board to sit flush. Cooling is going to be handled with the front EVGA 280mm Front AIO and just a 120mm out the back. I already slapped the system together for testing and my thermals are running super low (At Idle: 26°C /56°C At Load) and My current graphic card only hits like 67°C at load which is far from destroying any of my components. It's odd that you are having so many thermal issues with your computer let alone inside the G5 case, because its so well ventilated.

But going to be doing a huge update today. Stay Tune!

Hey,
That looks awesome. I also have a G5 and I think I want to the same way.
Do you have a full parts list?
Thanks so much!

And I do! I am currently finishing up the build today, so I will be posting more photos as well as a full part list!

It's odd that you are having so many thermal issues with your computer let alone inside the G5 case, because its so well ventilated.
But going to be doing a huge update today. Stay Tune!
Well I am a little in-experienced at building a computer and this is my first attempt!. But with the budget board and the one available system fan port to work with I'm amazed it stays as cool as it does, not as impressive as the lows in your build though. In Catalina it idles in the mid thirties, in Windows it idles in the thirties. Can't wait to see the new photos when you update.

Last edited:
Ok, wasn't aware of that. Won't happen again. So u think the Laser Hive is the best option?

Ok, wasn't aware of that. Won't happen again. So u think the Laser Hive is the best option?
No worries! For my build I think it definitely was because I didn't have to modify any of my current components and it just looks cleaner imo. But be prepared to do some custom fabrication like cutting like I displayed in my pass threads.

Sorry for the delay guys! I finally got all the parts I was waiting on and time to document the next stage in the build which was putting the system in and fabricating a custom cable management panel which you will see below! ;) I apologize for the rush post as I didn't document every single step (for time sake), but if you need help or want to know how I did something here just send me a reply and I will try my best to help and clarify.

So I started by cutting out a hole for my PSU for clearance on the old G5 top shelf as with The Laser Hive kit the PSU now sits on the top of the case which imo is not only better for aesthetics and clearance, but also thermals as heat rises and then gets exhausted out the rear of the case.

I also managed to fit in the old hard drive bay where the old optical drive sat for my storage drive.
0L8A0512.jpg

0L8A0511.jpg

0L8A0513.jpg

Put in a brand new rear case fan:

be quiet! Silent Wings 3 120mm PWM, BL066, Cooling Fan -

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01JMEDDYY/?tag=tonymacx86c0c-20

0L8A0510.jpg

And now the fun part....cable management :banghead:
0L8A0514.jpg

I decided to use these cable extensions by Cable Mods for the build. They are the "Carbon" colour. Felt they went with the silver & black theme that the G5 case has and also matches most of my components.
0L8A0516.jpg

Link to the Cable Extensions:

CableMod PRO ModMesh Cable Extension Kit - Carbon -
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07C3XFJVQ/?tag=tonymacx86c0c-20

Now was the custom part of the build. I didn't document this too much because of time, but again if you want to know more about this feel free to send me a message!

Went with a sheet of aluminum to match the metal inside the case. If I were to do this again I would've gone with a thicker gauge sheet, but this was all my local hardware store had in stock. Beside it is a template I made from some cardboard to mark out the cuts and holes. I used a dremel for the edge cuts and a metal hole saw to cut out the cable holes, which later will have rubber grommets.
0L8A0520.jpg

Wanted a nice brushed finished, so used a mix of 180, 220 and scotch bright pads to achieve the finish I was looking for.
0L8A0521.jpg

The end result! :thumbup: Not bad if I say so myself!
0L8A0533.jpg

0L8A0539.jpg

I then used some clear expoxy to attach the original motherboard screw mounts from the original G5 to hold my new custom panel in place. I did have to cut these down to reach the same height as the motherboard.
0L8A0543.jpg

Looks ugly I know! But I wanted them to bond well and it will be hidden during the final assembly!
0L8A0540.jpg

Then the motherboard and cables were finally managed up and mounted in.
0L8A0544.jpg

After LOTS OF TIME AND PATIENCE LOL, finally got all the cables managed and the panel installed into the case.
0L8A0547-Edit.jpg

0L8A0546-Edit.jpg

0L8A0549-Edit.jpg

*P.S You probably noticed the glue where the existing plastic holder for the shield is....I will be putting this back in. Removed it during assembly for easier access.*
0L8A0550-Edit.jpg

0L8A0552.jpg

0L8A0551.jpg

I painted some old white PCI Covers Gloss black to match the back :)
0L8A0554.jpg

0L8A0556-Edit.jpg

Gonna be posting the finals of this build over the weekend! As well as a full part list and benchmarks!

Congratulations, looks amazing. Very inspirational! Ok, so I need to work out my components list. Will go through all your stuff again. Look forward to future posts. You have been a great help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back