Contribute
Register

Powermac G5 case mod with cable management and hot swap hdd tray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeffinslaw.
While I appreciate you having a bag of 100 stand-off screws and your willing to share ;), can you please tell us where you purchased them? Where I live, I can not find them, and, if you got them on-line, others will benefit from your find. :thumbup:

All,
Additionally, when you "share" information in PM's you deprive others of (possibly) good information. So, please kept posting in threads rather than go "underground." TIA.

Trhooper123,
Is "UofL" University of Louisville? Or...? BTW, keep up the good work with this thread.

To any one out there in the UK that is looking for M3.5 screws and doesn't want to raid their electrical wall sockets (which seem the only thing that really uses them!) there is a great little place called "Sea Screws". https://www.seascrew.com/browse.cfm?s=m3.5 They seem to have almost every m3.5 screw length you can think of at a good price.

All,
Additionally, when you "share" information in PM's you deprive others of (possibly) good information. So, please kept posting in threads rather than go "underground." TIA.

Trhooper123,
Is "UofL" University of Louisville? Or...? BTW, keep up the good work with this thread.

Stork, thank you for giving me a better answer than the "you have been banned for a blatant disregard of forum policy" that I got from the mods. On the other hand, my argument was that why have a pm service on the site if you ban people for using it. Its pretty much entrapment.

and yes UofL is University of Louisville

Stork, thank you for giving me a better answer than the "you have been banned for a blatant disregard of forum policy" that I got from the mods. On the other hand, my argument was that why have a pm service on the site if you ban people for using it. Its pretty much entrapment.

and yes UofL is University of Louisville

Jeffinslaw.
While I appreciate you having a bag of 100 stand-off screws and your willing to share ;), can you please tell us where you purchased them? Where I live, I can not find them, and, if you got them on-line, others will benefit from your find. :thumbup:

All,

Trhooper123,

The reason I asked him if he was interested was to save him some money. I purchased them from McMaster Carr for $5 plus shipping which was another $5. I only needed 4 screws out of the bag so I thought it would be okay to send him some and that's why I PM'd him for his address, which is something sensitive and should not be posted in a forum.

I did not offer to sell them and he did not offer to purchase any. I was simply going to send him 4 screws in a plain old envelope which only cost me the price of a stamp.

Jeffinslaw

Hey everyone, sorry for the long time between posts. Still trying to piece together this project. Been working on designing the hard drive cage and here is what I came up with.
ScreenShot2013-02-17at103703PM_zpsebdb2873.png

It is made for two of the corsair hot swap backplates, I based it off of Minihack's design and the cad measurements from Taumaz. Its measurements are 160mm deep x 120mm wide x 306mm tall. I sent it off to a local machinist to see how much it would cost to have it cut out of 5mm acrylic

Hey everyone,
I ordered my hard drive cage from Pololu today, they have a excellent service and even better prices for those needing any laser cutting done. Here are some mock ups of the finished product.

ScreenShot2013-02-25at43823PM_zps3647cf6e.png

ScreenShot2013-02-25at43834PM_zps3868e43c.png

ScreenShot2013-02-25at43846PM_zpscea5be31.png

Hey everyone,
Just got my order from Pololu today with my hard drive cage and I wanted to get pics of it up so everyone can see.
I left the protective paper on it so that I don't scratch it. I just ordered my fans tonight from Newegg, so once I get those installed I can glue the cage together and figure out how I am going to mount it. Anyone have any ideas on mounting?

photo1_zps816b570d.jpg

photo2_zps6eeae695.jpg

photo4_zps8950bba0.jpg

photo1-1_zpsa41775e9.jpg

photo3_zps1be2e7b2.jpg

photo5_zps8378c03b.jpg

Hey everyone, Just got my order from Pololu today with my hard drive cage and I wanted to get pics of it up so everyone can see. I left the protective paper on it so that I don't scratch it. I just ordered my fans tonight from Newegg, so once I get those installed I can glue the cage together and figure out how I am going to mount it. Anyone have any ideas on mounting?
Wow, you have created one very neat drive bay, certainly wont run out of storage in a hurry. I mounted a 4 drive bay in a similar location on my G5 (see link in Signature) with screws and standoffs into the PSU tray below. For your drive bay, I dont see the original PSU fitting in there, so you are going to need a platform from underneath that you attach it to. I also suggest at least 2 screws from the top to secure it to the optical tray, otherwise it wont be stable.

Hard drive rack looks amazing! I'm planning a G5 mod right now, wondering if you'd be willing to send me the file you used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back