None
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello everyone,
I recently purchased a used G5 case from ebay and have been browsing the forums for a couple months. I paid 90 for a g5 case in great condition shipped.

It recently arrived and I decided to go the mountain mods route for the back panel. I want this mod to be as seamless as it can be so I plan on either sandblasting the mountain mods tray or painting it to match the stock color of the G5. I want to build a hot swap caddy, I really like minihacks version made out of acrylic, I need to message him to find out how he made it.

I plan on using this computer for primarily ripping my Blu-ray collection for iTunes playback and Apple TV distribution. I am also a Computer Information Systems major at UofL so I am going to try to get involved in some coding and needed a better computer to fit my needs.

I have a pretty decent background in general handiwork. I recently build a home theater at my girlfriends house (Link for those interested) I also have a background in repairing electronics (I own a iPhone repair business) so I am imagining it to not be that big of a task.

My requirements for the computer
-be able to handle three monitors (2x asus ve278q and a samsung 40" lcd)
-have a hot swap hard drive caddy
-have generally good wire management​

My thoughts on equipment (please please tell me if you can recommend anything better for the money than what I have picked.)
- GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H (motherboard) Newegg

-CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W (PSU) Newegg

-Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (CPU) Newegg

-CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 (RAM) Newegg

-CORSAIR Hydro series H50 (CPU Cooler) Newegg

-GPU is not decided on, I need help in picking a good one for a decent price ( I do not plan on playing many games)

-I also need help in picking out a blu ray drive

Finally, Here are some pictures of the case

KGrHqRqgFCru9TqBBQ3BQ581Y60_57_zps9b274d0e.jpgKGrHqVicFDHbcbvMBQ3BRBMbw60_57_zps0f520cfe.jpgKGrHqZjFC9M0mITLBQ3BQwO5160_57_zpsccd9bfd2.jpgT2eC16ZkE9s4BEiBQ3BQwqMWw60_57_zpsc28dec50.jpgT2eC16ZHJGQE9noMbZf7BQ3BQvGYew60_57_zps66b68423.jpg

Thanks everyone for viewing and I hope to hear any feedback, criticism or any other general comments.

Thanks for the quick reply Dsxhiji, although I could not find that one available in the US. One thing that I liked about minihack's was that it only needed one power supply connection. Does the lian li one only need one or does it need one for each hd?

I'm not too sure if it is still relevant now, but the ram might cause an issue when trying to install the OS because of the 4gig RAM limit whilst installing.
With the 2x8gig sticks it doesn't give you the option to pull one stick and drop back to 4gig for the install of the OS.(This is assuming you don't have other RAM available to do this)
After the OS install you can then add in all the RAM available.
As I said I'm not too sure if this applies, can somebody else verify this please.
And good luck on the build, it is such a rewarding mod and when it's done it will always make you feel good when you look at it and show it off to friends. (and it never stops there).

I'm not too sure if it is still relevant now, but the ram might cause an issue when trying to install the OS because of the 4gig RAM limit whilst installing.
With the 2x8gig sticks it doesn't give you the option to pull one stick and drop back to 4gig for the install of the OS.(This is assuming you don't have other RAM available to do this)
After the OS install you can then add in all the RAM available.
As I said I'm not too sure if this applies, can somebody else verify this please.
And good luck on the build, it is such a rewarding mod and when it's done it will always make you feel good when you look at it and show it off to friends. (and it never stops there).

Thank you for brining this up Rosi1959, I honestly have not spent much time on the installation forum. But a quick search and I had an answer.

Going Bald posted this
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by TheM0rk
Hey everyone,

I almost finished building my computer. Haven't added de graphics card yet, because I believe it's supposed to wait untill after installation of OSX.

Because I can't properly download OSX ML yet, I want to start by installing Snow Leopard from a disc on my Hackintosh. During the build of my computer, I have inserted 1x 8GB RAM. Now it says in the SL tutorial that you are supposed to use 4GB max during installation.
The 8GB that I have inserted is now under my CPU cooler. To take it out, it would mean that I would have to take away the CPU cooler first. It's quite a big thing and actually I don't want to do this whole thing all over again.

Is there anybody who could give my some advice on this?
Is it possible to install SL and then ML with 8GB of RAM installed?
Why is there a 4GB max warning anyways?

Thanks!!!

The 4 Gb of ram limit is outdated info - the old procedure just never got updated. iBoot will limit you to 4Gb of ram usage no matter if you max the board out. I have installed with all 6 sockets full with ram on the X58A-UD7 and with all 4 slots full on the Z77A-GD65.
32 bit apps will run just fine on SL 64 bit kernel.

Last edited by a moderator:
hello, my build seems pretty close to your requirements, the link is below - feel free to ask any questions.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/case-mods/84474-taumazs-g5-raider.html

Your hdd tray is EXACTLY what I had planned in my head. I too end up fixing hard drives and computers for family and friends and need that many spaces. Do you still have the CAD file? Or if you wouldnt be willing to give it out could you at least give me the measurements I labeled in this pic as a starting point.

Thank You

DSC01185_zps613533e4.jpg

Your hdd tray is EXACTLY what I had planned in my head. I too end up fixing hard drives and computers for family and friends and need that many spaces. Do you still have the CAD file? Or if you wouldnt be willing to give it out could you at least give me the measurements I labeled in this pic as a starting point.

Thank You

DSC01185_zps613533e4.jpg

yup, no problem. i am at work at the moment tho so will be later on tonight.

also keep in mind for diamensions "x3" it depends on what you are planning on using for mounting screws.

and also as you can see in this picture i had to cut a bit off the top sides to re-correct the spacing of the bottom drive on the top half and top drive on the bottom half, and i am not certian two "full size" 3.5" drives will fit in those two slots at the same time (i will just put a half height 3.5" drive in one of the slots to avoid any clearance issues)

you will be able to modify the .dxf to suit anyways.

will send as soon as i have time.

yup, no problem. i am at work at the moment tho so will be later on tonight.

also keep in mind for diamensions "x3" it depends on what you are planning on using for mounting screws.

and also as you can see in this picture i had to cut a bit off the top sides to re-correct the spacing of the bottom drive on the top half and top drive on the bottom half, and i am not certian two "full size" 3.5" drives will fit in those two slots at the same time (i will just put a half height 3.5" drive in one of the slots to avoid any clearance issues)

you will be able to modify the .dxf to suit anyways.

will send as soon as i have time.

It wont let me reply to you in pm because I dont have enough posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back