1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello Forum,

I finally decided to do a G4 Powermac case-mod (i know, another one...), while i´m pretty confident in my handiwork, i´m not quite sure if the components i picked are compatible for what i want them to do. First my list:

- GA-Q77M-D2H (mATX for the G4 case)
- Intel i3 2125
- ASUS GT640-2GD3
- SSD OS- only harddrive (most likely a SanDisc Extreme 90 Gb)
- 8 Gb memory (Kingston or Corsair)
- be quiet! Pure Power CM L8-430W

I want to stick to OS X 10.6.8 SL for now, because i need to run Rosetta for some software i´m still using on my PPC eMac, that being the reason for Sandy-Bridge CPU. I also definitely want to use a separate graphics card (i know, the MoBo is cut out for on-board-graphics).

If some of You guys could go over the list and tell me what problems/trapdoors you see (system/software wise and maybe hardware- related, concerning the G4-case), any input would be highly appreciated. I also need buying-advice on a network card (i would like to use an ethernet connection) and a firewire card to use for my iSight and WD external HD.

Thanks for Your input,

Olli

Hello Forum,

I finally decided to do a G4 Powermac case-mod (i know, another one...), while i´m pretty confident in my handiwork, i´m not quite sure if the components i picked are compatible for what i want them to do. First my list:

- GA-Q77M-D2H (mATX for the G4 case)
- Intel i3 2125
- ASUS GT640-2GD3
- SSD OS- only harddrive (most likely a SanDisc Extreme 90 Gb)
- 8 Gb memory (Kingston or Corsair)
- be quiet! Pure Power CM L8-430W

I want to stick to OS X 10.6.8 SL for now, because i need to run Rosetta for some software i´m still using on my PPC eMac, that being the reason for Sandy-Bridge CPU. I also definitely want to use a separate graphics card (i know, the MoBo is cut out for on-board-graphics).

If some of You guys could go over the list and tell me what problems/trapdoors you see (system/software wise and maybe hardware- related, concerning the G4-case), any input would be highly appreciated. I also need buying-advice on a network card (i would like to use an ethernet connection) and a firewire card to use for my iSight and WD external HD.

Thanks for Your input,

Olli

The major problem I see is the lack of support in SL for the GT640. You might be better with a GT210.
Firewire - http://www.amazon.com/3PORT-Firewire-Pcie-2X9PIN-1X6PIN/dp/B0027VT6VY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1350475240&sr=8-6&keywords=siig+firewire or http://www.amazon.com/3-Port-Firewire-Adapter-Card/dp/B000HDKVDQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1350475240&sr=8-2&keywords=siig+firewire
For network - the NIC on your board works with wired and the recommended wireless is listed in the 2012 recommended builds

Hello,

First, thanks for Your quick reply! I´m an occasional gamer, old games (Homeworld 2 and Diablo 2 for PPC) and now i´m wondering if the GT210 might be struggling with that, since i read it´s good mainly for office-work. Is there maybe a "big brother" i might use? I took a look at the Wiki (forgot to do that before...), what about the GTS450 or GT440? Please excuse my nubishness...

As for the firewire cards, i can´t find those here (Germany), Amazon US says it that currently only ships within the States. Could i order another card (different maker), is there something i have to look out for to be compatible with my build.
Thanks for Your effort,

Olli

Hello,

First, thanks for Your quick reply! I´m an occasional gamer, old games (Homeworld 2 and Diablo 2 for PPC) and now i´m wondering if the GT210 might be struggling with that, since i read it´s good mainly for office-work. Is there maybe a "big brother" i might use? I took a look at the Wiki (forgot to do that before...), what about the GTS450 or GT440? Please excuse my nubishness...

As for the firewire cards, i can´t find those here (Germany), Amazon US says it that currently only ships within the States. Could i order another card (different maker), is there something i have to look out for to be compatible with my build.
Thanks for Your effort,

Olli

Amazon.de carries the SIIG firewire 400 - http://www.amazon.de/dp/B000HDKVDQ/?tag=tonymacx8603-21 and you could use the Sonnet Allegro firewire 800 - http://www.amazon.de/dp/B002XHBR8C/?tag=tonymacx8603-21

Hi,
I feel like an idiot... Let alone that i could not find the SIIG on Amazon, i had two bad typos, i wanted to ask what You think of the GeForce GT240 or the GeForce GTS 250, concerning this build.
Note to myself: - Don´t rush posts shortly before leaving for work!! :p

Didn´t mean to steal Your time and thanks!

Olli

Hi,
I feel like an idiot... Let alone that i could not find the SIIG on Amazon, i had two bad typos, i wanted to ask what You think of the GeForce GT240 or the GeForce GTS 250, concerning this build.
Note to myself: - Don´t rush posts shortly before leaving for work!! :p

Didn´t mean to steal Your time and thanks!

Olli

For low level gaming like Diablo, either the GT240 or the GTS250 would be OK. Basically, you don't need a fast powerful card unless you are running first-person shoot-em-up type games where refresh/response speed is critical to shooting the enemy before he shoots you :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back