Contribute
Register

Powermac G4 Hackintosh Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit of a short introduction, Ive always tinkered a bit and built my own desktops and always wanted to have a G4 Titanium as well, but the funds just weren't available when they were new so I continued on with PC based builds.

Fast forward well over a decade, and I was able to get a G4 case with an Apple display from a friend for free so I figured it was time to build a new desktop for some light video editing and CAD modeling, so dual boot OS Sierra and Windows 10 was the thought.

IMG_0739_zpsajsvkeoo.jpg

The build is pretty simple.

CPU: Intel Core I5-6500 3.2ghz
MOBO: MSI H110 PRO-VD Plus (I went with this because of the external dimensions, not necessarily because of its stellar performance)
RAM: Ballistic Sport LT 16gb (2x8gb)
HD: Kingston V300 2.5" 120gb (This will be boot drive, and have a few other traditional disk drives for storage.)
GPU: Very old MSI GT630 (just to get up and running and then will upgrade)
PSU: Corsair CX-M 550w

I wanted to keep the build as clean as possible without hacking the case up a ton so I chose the MSI mobo as the dimensions seemed to work in a way where I wouldn't have to trim the support brace for the optical drive/psu.

IMG_0790_zpsnon6jqjf.jpg

I also used a center punch/hole saw/dremel to punch a slotted hole in the case behind the optical drive cage so I could run the Corsair PSU cabling out, coil it behind the outer plastics, and then run some custom made extensions back into the case neatly. For solid state drive placement I went with a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter and mounted it in the old Zip drive location, and my other 2 disk drives mounted in the factory floor locations.

Heres a couple quick shots of the relatively complete build, I have since cleaned up the front speaker and power button wiring and got that all working properly, and also cleaned up a few other areas.

IMG_0894_zpst8avivvy.jpg

IMG_0895_zpsz9rtvvcv.jpg

IMG_0896_zpsdzzgnq0x.jpg

I'm still needing to install a new case fan, clean up the rear I/O panel area although thats not a high priority, and also need to figure out what is up with the GPU, it seems to be recognized by OS Sierra but doesn't seem to be working 100% as its a bit glitchy, won't let me change resolution on the monitor, and the initial sign in screen in Sierra seems to display a bit odd. I was looking at just doing one of the Gigabyte 1050ti "Low Profile" cards partly to keep some room in the case, and partly to avoid having to run a new 4 or 6 pin power cord for it from the power supply (essentially I would have to disassemble the case again partially and build a new extension cable to do that)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back