Intel Core i5 2500k
Graphics
Nvidia GeForce GTX670 2GB
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I had previously completed a casemod of a Quicksilver Powermac G4 but didn't like the design as much as the original Graphite G4, so when a Graphite G4 appeared on craigslist for a steal at $20 I jumped at it and set to work. Interesting tidbit: I got it in it's original box, accessories and all, for $20.

I've worked on this for the past month or so off and on and have had to forgo certain things and adapt the case in order to fit better cooling inside, but it looks as stock as possible from the outside, which is what I wanted. The only thing left for me to do is replace my video card with a better model in the coming weeks.

Attachments

Motherboard
GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3
CPU
Intel Pentium G620
Graphics
PNY XLR8 GTS250 1GB
Mac
Mac mini
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Android
can't wait to see more pictures of your progress. :)

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
It's looking rather...absurd...inside your case. How's the air flow working out so far for you?

Motherboard
Mac OS X 10.8.2
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500k
Graphics
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I agree, it did look like a mess. It was this way because I wanted to use a larger cooler but have since went back to the stock until I can find a low profile cooler that works. Here's an updated image with how the system currently looks.

I bought a new PSU and got 32GB of Ram for helping a friend with a computer (I know, overkill, but he had a packet to spare.) I'm about to buy a new GPU and am split between the GTX660ti or a 670. Is the 670 worth the extra money for gaming performance? I'm running WoW in OS X and Starcraft 2, and would like to get decent (60FPS on high settings) OS X performance on these games. Any other games will be ran in windows and i'm sure the 660ti will handle them fine.

Attachments

Motherboard
Mac OS X 10.8.2
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500k
Graphics
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
So yesterday I set to work on trying to improve airflow inside of the case, and got some inspiration from shibirian's G4 mod as to where I could place a fan for intake.

I decided to put a 120mm fan at the front of the case, on the bottom where the first Hard Drive bay is. So, excuse the tape, it made a very useful cutting guide.

I tried to cut it and have enough space to directly screw it in, which is why you see the hexagon shape here, but overshot the mark a little. This did not make much difference to me in the end as the fan i'm using does not connect using traditional screws anyway.

After about 20 minutes of deafening noise, the hole was finally cut.

I spent about 20 more minutes filing down the edges to make sure they were smooth and not miniature razor blades, until I finally fit the bottom fan into place. I just used cable ties to lock it into place, but it shipped with a rubber contraption to keep it in place rather than screws.

After fitting everything back into the case and trying to hide as many cables as possible out of the way I was left with this:

Still to do:

Buy my new video card

Either cover the hole I accidentally cut on the top by the PSU wires, or install an additional 120mm fan there. Do any of you have any thoughts as to what the best option is? I'm leaning towards putting a fan there and having the bottom two fans (the one I added yesterday and the one in the stock location) as intake and then having one there as exhaust. Let me know your thoughts on this.

Motherboard
Mac OS X 10.8.2
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500k
Graphics
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I finally got around to upgrading my old graphics card, and went with the GTX670 because from what I could gather from reading the forums it seemed to have less potential problems than the GTX660Ti, which is still well supported but sometimes has issues with FCPX. The difference in price between the two cards was so minimal that I just got the GTX670.

So here is a boring picture of it installed in the rig:

Temperature wise things look pretty good. It idles at around 40c and i've not seen it get above 55c.

One other change I made was that I relocated the Hard Drive to the top of the case by using the bracket that came with the G4 and using right-angled brackets to secure it to the top of the case. I did this because I had a feeling the HD temps I was seeing were a little high (around 40c) but they haven't really dropped, so I think it is a quirk of the drive itself. S.M.A.R.T Utility says all is okay.

This has the benefit of moving the drive out of the way and helping somewhat with cable management, but it is a hassle to change the drive.

Does anyone have a blank G4 front bezel plate that goes where the zip drive bay is? I don't like the Zip drive hole being there, and would be willing to pay for one if anyone has one spare.

Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-M PRO
CPU
i7 3770k 3.5GHz
Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, iMac, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Your PSU looks like it's fitting really well. I'm going to buy mine this weekend. Which model did you get? Anybody have recommended PSU's?

Motherboard
Mac OS X 10.8.2
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500k
Graphics
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Your PSU looks like it's fitting really well. I'm going to buy mine this weekend. Which model did you get? Anybody have recommended PSU's?
I bought an Antec NEO ECO 620C. I have had to cut some of the plastic on the back away (i'll grab a pic in a bit) for the on/off switch but it fits pretty well.

Motherboard
Gigabyte B150-HD3P
CPU
i5-6400
Graphics
HD530
Very nice done

i"m busy with a Powermac G4 Quicksilver

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H
CPU
3.4GHz Intel Core i5
Graphics
Intel 4000
Mac
Mac Pro
Classic Mac
PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
I have an old sawtooth g4 just like yours and was thinking about doing a mod into a hackintosh. was wondering about the plastic latch. On mine the two top plastic hooks are broken and the side ones never really lock that well, as I can pull the door open without lifting the ring handle. Was wondering if you think I should replace the whole plastic locking think under the mother board.