Graphics
radeon hd 4850
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I got this thing for free. I did not take any pictures before I started tearing it apart, but it looked like t

200px-GraphiteG4.jpg
The powersupply was dead and the front drive cover was gone, so i decided to mod it.

So far I have taken the panels off and painted them, and I have gutted the inside.

IMG_3007.JPG

Here you can see the outside. I am going to put usb and sound ports were that open spot is.

IMG_3017.JPG

here you can see the inside. If you look you can see I have connected wires to the power buttons to make it work with a mATX motherboard. I also mounted the original fan to the side of the case so it still vents though the side pane. I took out the old motherboard and powersupply and removed the mounts for them. The DVD drive is still in there, but I am probably going to have to replace it with some sort of laptop DVD drive.
IMG_3013.JPG

The new powersupply will have to be at the front of the case, so I put the plug right there were the lock was. A cord will extend inside to were the supply is.
IMG_3010.JPG

Were the powersupply used to be I am going to put two fans.

Things that still need to be done:

Fit a new laptop DVD drive, fit the fans in the back, mount the powersupply inside, fit the motherboard, Lots more dremel work.

I would like to see what people think of it, and get some suggestions as to how to finish it off.

Wow that looks a lot like mine. I did not even see this when I was making mine. Great minds think alike I guess.

Care to share any secrets on how to make the DVD/CD drive work?

I agree, the black and white paint job is very nice.

I have read that you can remove the original paint on the powermac G3 and G4 outer panels by soaking the insides of the panel with rubbing alcohol and then rubbing to remove the original paint leaving a it clear so it can be painted with a different color while retaining the shiny outer shell and glossy appearance. Did you use this method?

I'm just starting a similar build myself. I'm getting most of the parts and paint now.

A few questions:

I'm having trouble getting the security bar off. Is there a special trick to this, am I missing a screw somewhere, or do I just have to pull and hope for the best?

I'm going to check at my local parts store this evening, but just confirming that the closest Mobo to the G4 logic board in size is the Micro-ATX, and not a standard ATX?

Also, what paints did you use?

The new powersupply will have to be at the front of the case, so I put the plug right there were the lock was. A cord will extend inside to were the supply is.
View attachment 29590

Were the powersupply used to be I am going to put two fans.

You wouldn't necessarily have to place the power supply at the front, because it could still be fit in its usual place, but this is an interesting idea of sorts. Let us know how you progress on your build, please. :)

I agree, the black and white paint job is very nice.

I have read that you can remove the original paint on the powermac G3 and G4 outer panels by soaking the insides of the panel with rubbing alcohol and then rubbing to remove the original paint leaving a it clear so it can be painted with a different color while retaining the shiny outer shell and glossy appearance. Did you use this method?

I want to know about removing the paint too.

doctorevil30564, where did you read this?

I want to know about removing the paint too.

doctorevil30564, where did you read this?

read about it here

there may be better sites that have pictures showing how it's done.

EDIT: found this site too it has pictures and a bit more info, it's for a quicksilver powermac G4 but I think the same principles could be used to paint the insides of most of the graphite G4 case in a similar manner.

I got one but never been able to fit a ATX motherboard inside...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back