Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
It isn't good hardware, but I just want to give a speed up to my old 300Mhz B&W G3 using some hardware that I have lying around.
Specs:
- Unknown motherboard :worried_anim:
- Intel Core 2 Quad a 2,66Ghz (Before: PowerPC G4 a 300Mhz)
- Nvidia GeForce 8400GS en PCIe (Before: ATI Rage 128 en PCI)
- Hard Drive IDE Western Digital 160GB (The same)
- RAM 1GB DDR running at 1066Mhz (Before: 1GB PC100)
- CD/DVD double layer drive (Before: lector de CD-ROM)

Some photos of the original PowerMac G3 (sorry about the poor quality of the first ones) :
HWV33l.jpg

CaSfNl.jpg

Just the original computer open.

e4gOJl.jpg

x7SLbl.jpg

The old CD-ROM drive

hrIUPl.jpg

eiFcKl.jpg

The old processor, a PowerPC G4 running at 300Mhz.

YZ5eel.jpg

JKVr7l.jpg

And after the mod (in progress):

I don't change anything in the external case appearance

iVzoVl.jpg

orQdbl.jpg

The new mobo. It's on a wood panel because the moounting points are too difernt and I would't break the entire chassis. The CPU heatsink hasn't got a fan on it because it crashes with the power supply and I can't close the case. At least, the wooden panel will eliminate all the vibrations of the graphics fan.

NCZzdl.jpg

The hard drive on its rack. It isn't connected because I need a larger molex wire.

Ip9mul.jpg

V9N6Sl.jpg

I take this photo before I put the new power supply.
5OJISl.jpg

The new power supply. I take out the louder, bigger, 120mm fan, and I put a 80mm one, taking the air out of the case. I will cover the hole with a PVC panel.

Pcrjjl.jpg

RDRIYl.jpg

After put the new power supply. As you can see, I need a larger molex wire, a larger chipset wire and a larger CPU wire. :hammer:

qC3ikl.jpg

pAZoBl.jpg

k2YoYl.jpg

zwNcyl.jpg

A photo with the case closed. As you can see, the heatsink is really near to the power supply. If I put a fan over the heatsink, the case wouldn't close. So, maybe I'll use a water cooling system.

GyBzCl.jpg

AWV2gl.jpg

NPxNpl.jpg

2cdeAl.jpg

FpOz8l.jpg

After a few months I want to use a water cooling system, with a double radiator in the bottom of the fan, replacing the hard drive rack. And I change the original yellow led of the power button, now it's blue (I think it looks better).

Sorry about my bad english :p

Take a look at my "sawtooth" build. I had similar issues but everything fit fine inside my case. The G3 and G4 "Sawtooth" cases were very similar.

Finally, with a cardboard box I found a provisional solution. When I close the case, the CPU heatsink is in front of the fan.

hGwN1l.jpg

rY6aWl.jpg

Rmfvhl.jpg

I was measuring the area for my 2x120mm radiator. In the bottom of the case, I've a 290x130mm area, completely clear from mounting points. I think I should use an Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full copper. It has a 15mm spacing between fans, so it's a little bit longer, perfect for my non-standar 290x130mm area. The radiator measures 279x 124x30mm.
For the CPU block, I'm planning to use a EK Supreme LTX Acetal Black. But, Can I use 90º fittings for the block?

The area for the radiator:

71OFxl.jpg

Hallo,
thats my water-cooling solution in a G4-case

Attachments

• G4-Watercooling.jpg
    G4-Watercooling.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 4,986
I second that. use aluminum or acrliyic..

idk about water cooling... radiators seem to take up a lot of room.. unless you are planning a oc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back