PowerMac G3 B&W Case Re-Purpose

Discussion in 'PowerMac G3 B&W' started by VivianMitchell, May 4, 2013.

Tags:
  1. VivianMitchell

VivianMitchell

Mobo:
    GA-Q77M-D2H
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-3770
    Graphics:
    Asus 660 GTX
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    May 4, 2013 at 6:18 AM #1
    VivianMitchell

VivianMitchell

Mobo:
    GA-Q77M-D2H
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-3770
    Graphics:
    Asus 660 GTX
    Mac:
    MacBook Pro
    Classic Mac:
    Power Mac
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    This will be my first Hackintosh build. The goal is to maintain as much of the PowerMac look and feel as possible; minimal modifications to the case is desired. Most of the hardware has been pulled from the CustoMac blue prints to ensure compatibility.

Hardware Specifications:
    • Gigabyte GA-Q77M-D2H motherboard
    • Intel Core i7-3770 processor
    • Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 memory (4GB to 32GB)
    • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 graphics card

Expected Challenges:

1. Mounting motherboard to chassis (I'm going to lose my analog audio outputs unless I opt to modify the chassis)
    2. Memory collision with optical drive (this will be dependent on whether or not I install an optical drive)
    3. Cable length (extension my be needed to complete wiring from the PSU to the motherboard on the door)
    4. Air balancing (best method to keep the system cool and clean)
    5. Money (Not a lot of room in the budget)
    6. Time (Other projects take priority- still need to finish wiring the house, building the sandbox, landscaping the backyard, etc...)

Current Status:

Picked up serviceable PowerMac G3 B&W system on April 15, 2013 via eBay for $25.00. The system is dirty but runs well with Mac OS 10.4 installed. It hurt a bit to strip it down. I washed and dried chassis and removed motherboard stand-offs with grinding tool. The replacement motherboard has arrived but I'll still need to get proper stand-offs and make a slight chassis modification to fit it in.

A few thoughts:
    • Fabricating a replacement I/O panel for the rear will be a challenge.
    • Getting everything to fit is one thing, but making it as tidy as it originally was might be impossible.
    • That's a tiny heat sink on the PowerPC chip!

IMG_8704.jpg IMG_8705.jpg IMG_8707.jpg IMG_8708.jpg IMG_8718.jpg IMG_8753.jpg IMG_8755.jpg