Contribute
Register

Powering down / disabling fans on a GTX 1060

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

So I have a Hackintosh build and generally everything is working well. My specs are as follows:

GA-H170n-wifi motherboard
Skylake i5-6660 CPU
Intel HD 530 integrated graphics (used for MacOS)
GTX 1060 in the PCIe slot (not used in MacOS)

I set up El Capitan 10.11.4 using this excellent guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-el-capitan-on-the-skylake-h170n-wifi.178197/

And have since upgrade to 10.11.6 from the app store without any problems.

Since there are currently no Pascal drivers for MacOS, I run MacOS off the integrated HD530 which works great and boot into Windows with the GTX 1060 for gaming.

The only problem is that in MacOS the GTX 1060 fans are going at more or less full speed even though I’m not using it. This ruining my otherwise silent build.

So I would like to be able to disable the GTX 1060 or the PCIe slot on booting into MacOS, or otherwise stop the fans running. (The card is a Zotac 1060 Amp and under Windows the fans only kick in when gaming). My BIOS does not have an option to power off the discrete GPU.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can do this?

One route I’ve been exploring is through DSDT/SSDT patches. I have read this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-disabling-discrete-graphics-in-dual-gpu-laptops.163772/

I have successfully extracted the ACPI files using F4 on clover during boot and have disassembled them. However I am struggling to work out which of the files I need to patch and how. The guide I'm following is for quite a different build to mine.

I’ve posted my DSDT/SSDT files over in the DSDT forum if anyone wants to take a look.

Anyone got any ideas on the best way of getting those fans to safely stop?

Thanks.

Sir.. i'm have the same GTX 1060.. but my intel is a 3770K with IntelHD 4000, how can i boot on mac with the iGPU without having to connect my hdmi to the board?!,
i mean, right now, i have the hdmi connected to the nvidia card, i have my bios to run graphics from pciE, but i want to boot mac with igpu, and windows with nvidia without having to change that on bios and hdmi port evertime i want to change from OS...

any idea how can i do that?!.

Hi

So I have a Hackintosh build and generally everything is working well. My specs are as follows:

Skylake i5-6660 CPU

I set up El Capitan 10.11.4 using this excellent guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-el-capitan-on-the-skylake-h170n-wifi.178197/

Since there are currently no Pascal drivers for MacOS, I run MacOS off the integrated HD530 which works great and boot into Windows with the GTX 1060 for gaming.

The only problem is that in MacOS the GTX 1060 fans are going at more or less full speed even though I’m not using it. This ruining my otherwise silent build.

So I would like to be able to disable the GTX 1060 or the PCIe slot on booting into MacOS, or otherwise stop the fans running. (The card is a Zotac 1060 Amp and under Windows the fans only kick in when gaming). My BIOS does not have an option to power off the discrete GPU.

One route I’ve been exploring is through DSDT/SSDT patches. I have read this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-disabling-discrete-graphics-in-dual-gpu-laptops.163772/

I have successfully extracted the ACPI files using F4 on clover during boot and have disassembled them. However I am struggling to work out which of the files I need to patch and how. The guide I'm following is for quite a different build to mine.

I’ve posted my DSDT/SSDT files over in the DSDT forum if anyone wants to take a look.

Thanks.

My Pascal Titan X also has the fan spinning while I'm using the HD530 on 10.11.6, but however it's rotating at low speed and barely noticeable. I'd prefer it to be completely switched off, but not because of noise, because the 6700K fan is far more noticeable. Anyway, to answer your question, no, I don't know how to switch it off.

D
Hi

Skylake i5-6660 CPU

Thanks.

Did u use dual monitor if not then single monitor how u manage that can describe how ?

Sir.. i'm have the same GTX 1060.. but my intel is a 3770K with IntelHD 4000, how can i boot on mac with the iGPU without having to connect my hdmi to the board?!,
i mean, right now, i have the hdmi connected to the nvidia card, i have my bios to run graphics from pciE, but i want to boot mac with igpu, and windows with nvidia without having to change that on bios and hdmi port evertime i want to change from OS...

any idea how can i do that?!.
its not possible without having direct connection from internal graphics to your monitor. what you can do is connect motherboard and nvidia to your monitor at the same time(assuming your monitor has at least 2 inputs). when you boot your system switch the input to your hd4000 from your monitor and carry on. i have 1060 too and i can boot without disconnecting/connecting any cables just rebooting. the trick is you have to set your iGPU as your primary display from bios otherwise it wont work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back