Contribute
Register

Powerful Mac - should I wait for High Sierra?

Powerful Mac - should I wait for High Sierra?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm keen to replace my iMac 27 i7 2009 with something newer. I really like the look of the newly revealed iMac pro.. but the price looks likely to be beyond my reach. I also have a 2016 MacBook pro - I use the iMac now primarily as a screen...

I'm also a keen gamer - and have a separate windows machine (gtx 1070 GPU, i7 etc). However my son and I are aways fighting over time on the machine and I find myself trying to run games on my mac - which simply is not possible (even on the relatively new MacBook pro)

I started to read about hackingtosh - and see a potential for dual booting (windows only for games). However, if I was building a new pure games machine I would be looking at 7th gen and 200 series motherboards. I wonder if I should wait for a few months to see if High Sierra brings further support for the latest chipsets?

Any thoughts very welcome.

The expectation is that, since Kaby Lake processors are now in the new MBPs and iMacs, Kaby Lake will be supported in 10.12.6 which is in beta release right now. So, soon.

I think I will hold out until AMD release the Vega GPU cards - then revisit. In theory these may be better supported than Nvidia...

I'm already running i7 7700k on an z270 MB with no issues... and this is my first Hackintosh ever.
I'm hoping High Sierra makes it easier in future with less additional tweaks required... but if you want a Kaby Lake processor now... you can still do it quite easily with Sierra.

I'm still waiting to decide on Nvidia or AMD... but its not urgent for me. Internal gfx works fine and also works with my Thunderbolt monitor. If i go discreet gfx..... i'll need a new 4k monitor.

Great - sounds promising. GPU card important for me as will also use for gaming.

Given success in gaming builds in the past I plan to stick with asus motherboard:

ASUS LGA 1151 MAXIMUS IX HERO Intel Z270 ATX Motherboard

Either a 1080 1080 ti (if price continue to drop). Given previous experience with AMDs lack of support in Linux world I may stick with nvidia.

Is there any likelihood that the onboard sound and Bluetooth will work under OS X?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back