Contribute
Register

Powerful hackintosh :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the reply.

@dadavid
It did not matter for me, so i brought 32gigs.
I have browsed the forums for a week now and seems like everyone is happy with the 580gtx, so i thought i will buy it, i need a stable and reliable system so i wanted to buy the best possble things :)

Does anyone knows, is there a difference between EVGA GeForce 580GTX 1,5GB and 3GB edition?

It would help if you specified exactly what models you were looking at, but short answer is if you are looking at a single 580 not much. It's mostly a "prestige" thing and marketing points, since people understand 3 GB > 1.5 GB even if they don't understand how it would be useful.

Gobs of memory on graphics cards past a certain point gains you nothing.

Essentially, the problem is you run out of graphics horsepower for rendering images LONG before you run out of memory. It's why graphics memory on cards has only doubled over the past 5 years or so. If you have more than X amount of ram, there is some benefit in terms of being able to cache more textures and such, but even that only takes so much.

It does matter more if you are doing 3D modeling/rendering and high performance computing, But that's a whole nother bunch of issues.

Sorry if this was already addressed, I didn't carefully read through all of the comments.

@Cyber66, will you be using Premier? Adobe and Nvidia seem to keep a not-up-to-date list of the supported cards: http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.html

It doesn't sound like AE makes use of the Mercury engine (verify?), but It would seem prudent to go with an NVIDIA card as Adobe seems keen to build hardware acceleration off their architecture. Perhaps CS 6, 6.5, 7 etc.. will make use..

I'm thinking of building a similar system, primarily for work in CS5.5 - Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Lightroom, Premier, and After Effects.

So, a xeon based machine is overkill for my needs, but I'd like an i7 running a very fast and modern video card. That leaves me between a MacPro and an iMac.

Thanks for your replies :)
Brought the EVGA 580 1,5G Superclocked

Complete list of parts:
Gigabyte GA-Z68-UD5 (Newegg)
Intel i7-2700k (Newegg)
4*8GB Corsair Vengeance (Newegg)
EVGA GTX 580 Superclocked (Newegg)
2*1TB Seagate 6Gb/s (Newegg)
240GB Corsair Force 3 (Newegg)
Corsair 850HX (Newegg)
Corsair H100 (Newegg)
Corsair 500R (Newegg)
Lion USB Installer

I will post a full work log after i finish Lion install and get it running smooth :)

Interesting. I had to set Frame-Buffer to 256+2 rather than max coz Windows install freezer when set to max (480+2 or something). Had to also but GraphicsEnabler=No in unibeast boot... i thought the hd3000 was supported oob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back