Graphics
Onboard
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've done a build before, but more on the basic side. I'm looking for some advice for my specific needs on a new build. I need a fast machine for using Handbrake with Blurays, lots of storage (6 TB would be ideal), and I have a SDD that I can use for the OS. I don't plan to have this hooked up to a monitor, it will be used via screen share on my macbook air. I have a SilverStone case that has room for 6 HDDs.

i5 or i7, which variant?
How much Ram is enough Ram? is 8 good, or would I benefit from having 16 or even 32?
Video card, since I'm not gaming and don't plan to have it hooked up to a monitor what is the minimum?

Handbrake is very CPU intensive, and not really at all stressful on the other components in the machine.

Additionally, Handbrake is coded for Hyperthreading, so you'll definitely benefit from the i7. As for video card, you could get away without one, instead using the more than capable HD4000 built into the i7-3770k (the processor I'd recommend).

Memory I'm not too sure on to be honest, hopefully others can chime in here.

i5 or i7, which variant?
How much Ram is enough Ram? is 8 good, or would I benefit from having 16 or even 32?
Video card, since I'm not gaming and don't plan to have it hooked up to a monitor what is the minimum?

+1 on the i7 3770K. Go with 16Gb of ram, too.

As for video card, you could get away without one, instead using the more than capable HD4000 built into the i7-3770k (the processor I'd recommend).

If that's the case then it would be saving me some $$$, but with all the tonymac builds there is a video card. Am I going to have any problems using the on board graphics chip?

i7-3770k it is, thanks for the advice.

Will someone please recommend a mobo that has enough SATA spots to have 6 HDD + 1 SSD, + Bluray? Or would I be better off with X mobo and one of those SATA cards? If an SATA card would be the better route, is there any particular one that works well with a mackintosh build?

Thanks for the help on this.

if that's the case then it would be saving me some $$$, but with all the tonymac builds there is a video card. Am i going to have any problems using the on board graphics chip?

I7-3770k it is, thanks for the advice.

Will someone please recommend a mobo that has enough sata spots to have 6 hdd + 1 ssd, + bluray? Or would i be better off with x mobo and one of those sata cards? If an sata card would be the better route, is there any particular one that works well with a mackintosh build?

Thanks for the help on this.

ga-z77x-ud5h

What blurry drive did you go with? I mainly use my hackintosh for ripping blurays and encoding with handbrake as well, but my bluray doesn't work with sleep. Hows yours working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back