Graphics
RX 6800XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have seen this question asked a lot, and lots of suggestions regarding a "just compatible" card for High Sierra. I have read endless posts regarding problems with installation. I have used Nvidia cards for a long time now and still have the old compatible AMD cards, which do work, but are slow. I currently use GTX1060 and GTX960 cards. Having experienced the hassle keeping the Nvidia cards up to speed with each upgrade, and last update having to downgrade drivers because of choppy video, I decided to chance an RX580 card that was priced at something below insanity. I'm just NOT going to pay $900 for a video card. I just want decent video performance.

So I ordered a Powercooler Red Devil Golden RX580 with 8Gb of RAM. I installed High Sierra 10.13.2 (I wanted to upgrade to see what hassles I experienced) with a GTX-760, which was natively supported. After the card arrived, all I did was put Lilu.kext and Whatevergreen.kext (latest versions) in /EFI/EFI/Clover/kexts/Other and in clover configurator made sure radeon_deinit was checked.. It booted right into OSX very quickly. Video was very snappy with no lag. I promptly updated without even watching the machine. No hiccups. I had to edit nothing, fiddled with nothing. It just worked with a couple of kexts in the right place.

Soooooo ... those seeking a truly compatible card, this is really close and WAY more convenient than the Nvidia cards at the moment. So for the record, that specific card works really well. I'll try to run some benchmark tests. I don't even know which ones are the most meaningful. So it may take a little time, but so far I'm sold.

Initially I did not have radeon_deinit checked in the clover Graphics options. The video screen would not wake up from sleep. Once checked in Clover Configurator and the config.plist file was saved, display sleep and sleep in general seemed to work fine.

Test computer specs:
GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5
Intel i7 6700K
64Gb RAM
RX580 as listed above
Samsung Evo 840 SSD

NOTE: I have not also tried this on a Sapphire Pulse RX580 and it worked exactly as planned. And for anyone wanting more specific steps on how I did this, they are listed a few posts down this thread.

Last edited:
Here are the results from Geekbench and Cinebench. I don't use these much, so these are for reference without comment as I really don't know how good or bad they are in technical terms.

CinebenchResults.png

GeekbenchCPU.png

GeekbenchOpenCL.png

hi I have Asus strix rx 580...and I have no luck to make it work can u help me a little

hi I have Asus strix rx 580...and I have no luck to make it work can u help me a little
I'm fairly new to the RX580 cards, but all I did to transition from a 1060 card, was to backup my config.plist file from /E/E/C/ directory. I wanted to keep the same SMBIOS system definition. Then I reran Multibeast 10.2.0 and reinstalled Clover so that all the Nvidia flags were removed. I even reinstalled the audio and netorking drivers. Since the EFI partition is still mounted after Multibeast runs, I fired up Clover configurator and loaded the new config.plist file. I checked radeon_deinit to the Graphics section and saved the file. I then copied the SMBIOS section of the old config.plist and replaced that section in the new config.plist with it. Last, I added lilu.kext and whatevergreen.kext to the /EFI/EFI/Clover/kexts/Other folder. Then I shutdown. Replaced the video card and booted back up. It was literally that easy. It runs great and upgraded to 10.13.3 without a hitch.

Did you uninstall the Nvidia web drivers at some point?

Could you post it step by step? When did you remove the 1060 card and put in the RX580 card?
I have a main system with a rx580 windows and using an nvidia 1060 in my hackintosh now--I would like to switch the cards if it makes the hackintosh easier to upgrade and the 1060 is a tiny bit faster in windows gaming ..plus then the rx 580 would be hooked to the amd freesync monitors with the mac...so its a win win for a few reasons....

Did you uninstall the Nvidia web drivers at some point?
Yes. I uninstalled them after I rebooted. The drivers had no effect when there, but I kept getting a message that the default drivers were installed, so I just got rid of them.

Could you post it step by step? When did you remove the 1060 card and put in the RX580 card?
I have a main system with a rx580 windows and using an nvidia 1060 in my hackintosh now--I would like to switch the cards if it makes the hackintosh easier to upgrade and the 1060 is a tiny bit faster in windows gaming ..plus then the rx 580 would be hooked to the amd freesync monitors with the mac...so its a win win for a few reasons....
Upgrading was SUCH a pain with the Nvidia drivers that is precisely why I switched. Plus, the Nvidia drivers with 10.13.3 visibly slowed down the computer. Even the stock drivers appear to be progressively sluggish. My wife's GA-Z68XP-UD4 board with a natively supported Nvidia card (660 series) can't even keep up when dragging a file to another finder window!

So this is what I did.
1] FIRST CLONE YOUR SYSTEM DRIVE. I used to use Super Duper, but now that I have used Carbon Copy Cloner, I'll never go back. Even my wife can back hers up without me now. I would also copy the /EFI/EFI folder somewhere safe. If you don't, proceed at your own peril.
2] Boot into the system with your Nvidia 1060 or original Nvidia card in the computer.
3] Mount the EFI partition and copy the config.plist file from /EFI/EFI/Clover folder to your desktop for convenience. I did this because I wanted to keep the SMBIOS settings, which will be overwritten in the steps below.
4] Some of this next step may be unnecessary, but I wanted to get rid of the boot flag that asks OSX to load the NvidiaWeb drivers. So I first ejected the EFI partition (causes an error message, not sure why), then started Multibeast 10.2.0.
5] I set everything up like I was starting fresh. I selected the UEFI quick start, reinstalled the audio and networking drivers, expanded the USB ports suport. In the bootloader section, where I had to select the UEFI boot + nvram support, I made sure it was at the default without nvram support. I selected the proper system definition, then hit install on system drive.
6] IMPORTANT: copy Lilu.kext and Whatevergreen.kext to /EFI/EFI/Clover/kexts/Other folder. While you are at it verify that FakeSMC.kext is there (necessary to keep the upgrades from locking up on reboot).

** at this point I was lacking two things -> the radeon_deinit flag in the config.plist and my old SMBIOS system definition. So ...

7] Since the EFI partition remains mounted after Multibeast runs, I opened Clover Configurator and in the Graphics section (around the middle row, far right) is the option to check radeon_deinit. I checked that and saved the file. NOTE: if you don't do that, you won't awake from sleep. I don't use sleep except for the monitor, but when it went to sleep I could not recover from the black screen.
8] I opened the config.plist that I had saved a copy from the original config.plist that had been in place when booting from the GTX 1060 card. I selected the SMBIOS section that held all my system definitions and copied it. I closed that (to avoid confusion) and then opened the current /EFI/EFI/Clover/config.plist and pasted the SMBIOS system definition in its place.

That was all that required. So I shut down the computer, changed to the RX580 and it booted right up. The graphics are zippier, you don't get large icons in the clover bootup screen and I upgraded to 10.13.3 just like I would from the app store without an ounce of intervention.

I have done this now on three computers as I have changed them all over to RX580 cards. I have ordered a fourth for my wife's computer and expect it to be the same.

Last edited:
I just replaced a GTX 960 SC 2GB with an Asus RX 560 OC, works great driving three monitors one of which is 4K. Any reason you aren't getting slightly cheaper Radeon cards, the 580 is great but overkill for most no?

I ran the Nvidia uninstalled but upon reboot I still get the popup saying there is no Nvidia GPU detected, what else to I have to uninstall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back