AMD Radeon HD 6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I have been looking around for a couple of days now trying to get my Hackintosh to work correctly with my graphics card which is a PowerColor AX5450 512MK3-SH which is an AMD Radeon HD 5450. There are a ton of threads and a ton of people who have gotten this working, but it seems to be different for each version of the 5450 so I was hoping that someone could help me out.

I had previously had an AMD Radeon HD 6870 which was working well with three monitors, but I moved that card over into a Windows system so I could play some games. I bought the 5450 so that I would be able to run two monitors with my Hackintosh.

Right now one monitor is working correctly through HDMI. Neither the VGA or the DVI connectors seem to be working in OS X, it doesn't matter if I have just VGA, just DVI, or a combination of them plugged in.

So far I have been using method two listed on this website. http://www.osx86.net/view/3043-ati_radeon_hd5450_with_full_qe-ci_support.html

I have also changed GraphicsEnabler to Yes, and have setup my ATI configuration to Eulemur. Under about this Mac the graphics card shows up as ATI Radeon HD 5450 512 MB. I get the following when I look at the graphics using system information:

ATI Radeon HD 5450:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5450
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x68f9
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318

The following is my file for Chameleon.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Eulemur</string>
<key>Boot Banner</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>PCIRootUID=1</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Choose_Your_OS</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x3000 darkwake=0 -f</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Let me know if you need me to give you any more information or try something out. Right now the graphics card works perfectly, all apps work, graphics acceleration is fine, but it only works through HDMI. I don't need to get VGA to work, but I would really like to have both DVI and HDMI working.

@Cussin

To get dual screen the personality "Eulemur should be edited in ATI5000Controller binary.
Attach you "VBIOS" here. I'll help you to edit those

As my last reply said I managed to get it working. After a day of using it I went into the app store to install an app and noticed that I got the error where I couldn't login to the app store. So when I rebooted to get that fixed I noticed that again only one monitor works. I went through what I did before and it still isn't working. Where do I get the VBIOS?

Since I am using a smaller case I'm using the low profile adapter for my card. To use that I removed the little VGA dongle knowing I wouldn't be using VGA. The weird thing is that in order to have two monitors enabled I have to boot with three monitors plugged in. The VGA/DVI inputs just duplicate themselves.

Booting without the VGA connector as part of the card results in just the HDMI monitor.

Booting with the VGA connector as part of the card results in just the HDMI monitor.

Booting with the VGA connector as part of the card and with a VGA monitor plugged in gets me two monitors + one duplicated monitor.

So everything is working, but it would be great if someone could help me figure out how to get rid of that VGA connector and still use two monitors.

After a little bit of testing it looks like the VGA is the second monitor and it is duplicated onto the DVI monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back