Contribute
Register

Power supply connector wire color code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I hope it's ok for this question as first post as newbief. I'm definitely starting out here and I am a COMPLETE moron when it comes to electricity.

So I bought this G5 case from this amazing dude who modded it really really well, trying to keep it original as much as he can.
He did the thing where he hacked the power supply to fit into the original powersuplly-box, and hooking up the original G5's 3-pin powersocket to the corsair powersupply that he built-in through connectors.
When I got the case, the connectors were disconnected.

Now my question really is a confirmation that I'm not doing anything wrong and might blow up the computer.
From what I gathered Googling around, the power supply have what I understand is the european color code of power wiring, blue and brown. Blue should be neutral and brown is leadwire/hotwire whatever its called.

But then the wires that come out of the original 3-PINS sockets are black and white. White should be neutral I think and black should be hot.
That's the way I connected it but I haven't dared to hook it up to the powernet with a powercable.

Attachments

• g52.jpg
    g52.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 559
  • g53.jpg
    g53.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 389
I have a lot of devices to connect to my computer and I think this is very useful. It's not a dumb question at all honestly. It's actually quite fascinating how many things you can learn about electrical circuits that you never knew before. I remember discussing with one of the experts from https://bates-electric.com/ everything about power circuits in the home and he even explained me that when you have a high-performance busy is better to have a different plug that is adjusted just for it. While he was fixing some of my lamps and changing plugs as well I asked him to do that for me as well.

Last edited:
I am currently doing a G5 build. I already finished the power wiring. However, I am using a North American Corsair PSU with a custom wired socket on the back of the case. In terms of the American color coding when looking towards the back of the case from inside the case, black is on the left (live), white is on the right (neutral), and green is on the bottom (ground). For the European color coding, brown is live/hot, blue is neutral, and green with yellow stripe is ground. It looks like you just have blue and brown coming directly out of the PSU. I can't say whether the wiring methods in the pictures are correct. I'm not an electrician.

EDIT: I just realized this post was from 2019. Oops.

Last edited:
So, have you finished your G5 build dude?! I would also like to get working on such a build, however I am not quite sure that I would be able to do it, as I am not that experienced with electricity and to be honest, I am pretty afraid of it. Moreover, I have got some rather bad previous experiences with electric devices. Once I have actually caused a power outage for the entire street! I had to call for the services a Level 2 Electrician Bondi who could actually repair all the mess made by me, I am still very thankful to that electrician.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back